Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overcharging issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 AM
bigmikaele
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I brought it to the dealership and they say it is the Alternator. Thank God for my Extended Service Plan this is the second time it has saved me. My oil pump failed and it only cost me $25. Haven't got the bill for this one yet, but don't suspect it will cost me much more then that... Everything was in stock so I should have my bike back in about an hour. Sucked I didn't have it on Sat since it was 85* here and I had a ride planned with my brother, but he will be back up this Sat so maybe we can do the ride I planned then...

Thanks for all the posts from people trying to help me out!

Old 03-22-2011, 12:12 PM
parts eeter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmikaele
Well, I brought it to the dealership and they say it is the Alternator. Thank God for my Extended Service Plan this is the second time it has saved me. My oil pump failed and it only cost me $25. Haven't got the bill for this one yet, but don't suspect it will cost me much more then that... Everything was in stock so I should have my bike back in about an hour. Sucked I didn't have it on Sat since it was 85* here and I had a ride planned with my brother, but he will be back up this Sat so maybe we can do the ride I planned then...

Hmmmm.. Post results after you get it back confirming the stator (alternator) was the problem.

Old 03-22-2011, 04:12 PM
dynabobster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigmikaele

Please have them explain in detail how the "alternator" caused the over charging. Thanks

Old 03-22-2011, 08:52 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master

Got it back and all is fine. Total cost = $50. I asked them what could have caused the stator to fail and they didn't have an answer... said maybe some of the wires could have broken... but they replaced both the stator and the new regulator I had put on tested it, took it for a ride and I rode it all afternoon as well and all is good. So don't know what caused it... They just said the alternator was putting out too much current to the regulator (somehow) and fried the regulator. Still have the old battery in it and will leave it there at least until after the weekend and maybe put the new battery in after that and see if it fries the regulator. Since I met my deductible next time anything goes wrong it is free. REALLY glad I have that ESP!! It has paid for itself double over now.

Last edited by bigmikaele; 03-22-2011 at 08:54 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 08:58 PM
bigmikaele
Road Master

My brother, who is smarter when it comes to the electrical system, mentioned that in some bikes when the headlight is pulled and the bike turned over it fries the regulator (stating that some bikes use the headlight as an alternate regulator and when removed it puts too much current to the regulator and fries it). He mentioned racers that take the headlight out of their street bikes to race found that out... So maybe there was some sort of short in the alternator or something... Hell at least it is working for now... Will keep everyone posted. I have a couple of hundred mile run planned for tomorrow as well as on Sat so if it stays good I will assume it is all fixed.

Old 05-19-2019, 09:25 AM
David sanchez 01
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Spanners39
You need to check alternator output against factory figures, each lead of the alternator is checked singly and there is a figure range per 1000 rpm.

If that is within tolerance then you need to check what your regulator is chucking out. You can do this with a voltmeter across the battery and it should max out at 14.85
I just put a new regulator on my 2013 glide and i did put the volt meter on it and revving it up it went to 16 17 volts in battery output. My amp gauge goes up and sends the engine icon on my speedometer. Would it be a faulty regulator?