Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Love it, Hate it

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 05:20 AM
Johnnyboy113
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Love it, Hate it

I have a 2010 FXDC and am having a blast. This is a beautiful machine and it is a gas to ride! I do mind the wind at highway speeds and installed a HD (18") compact windshield. I trimmed 2" from it and am looking over it by about 3". That is where the trouble starts! My first ride, once I hit about 40 mph, I started to get almost violent wind, behind the windshield. It shakes my head to the point where clear vision is difficult at 55-65. I even thought possibly I was having front end trouble, balance issues or maybe a flat front tire and pulled over to inspect. Didn't find anything. I took the windshield off and rode it and it is fine. WTF!?? I guess this is the buffeting that some of us speak of. As I said, I love the bike, I love the idea of the windshield, but dislike the windshield now that I put it on. What to do??? This is at best, pretty disappointing.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:33 AM
The Dean
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the shield is angled back too much you can get buffeting and a vacuum from the shield. You might have cut too much off and putting your face into the windstream. I have the touring shield and have cut it down 2 inches without a problem.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:36 AM
jaysonL
Elite HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 9 Posts

I say lose the w/s. It will look better with out anyway.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:58 AM
blacknsilver
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Congrats on your bike. It took me a few times adjusting the windshield to get it right. Ended up pushing the top of it all the way out and raising it up all the way. Now it has minimal buffeting.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:12 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,864 Likes on 1,222 Posts

A lot of people buy a windshield expecting good things to happen, not only does the windshield look like *** on their bike but it results in wind buffeting. The buffeting blurred my vision and gave me a headache. I did a search here on this forum and found many threads that got me to a point where a windshield works for me, still looks like *** though.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:16 AM
evanstock
Tourer

I have the touring windshield. I have it as high as it will go, looking through it when slouching, and I get minimal to no buffeting at turnpike speeds.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:45 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

My Memphis Shades Rio Grande windshield does nothing like that and works great. I still leave it in the garage except for maybe 1 or 2 really long rides a year. I just got used to not needing it and it looks a lot better without it.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:59 AM
Maclugie
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's all in the angle. I don't get any buffeting at all...it does look like *** though.

Old 04-08-2011, 07:39 AM
AFHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 14" HD shield works great and looks good IMO.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Jonn2002
Cruiser

Do you use a brain bucket or a full face helmet?

I used to have a windshield but sold it, I had it tipped out so far foward the upper washers just barely grabed the clips to keep it from buffeting. Now I uses a brain bucket when I am running around town or slower rides, If I need to cover some ground I wear a full face as it makes for a nice ride on the freeway and I dont end my ride exhausted from the brain bucket acting like a parachute strapped to my neck

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Love it, Hate it