Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob or Blackline?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Queballs
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Street Bob or Blackline?

Hey guys, been reading the site for a while but making my first post here. I'm at a bit of a crossroads on which bike to get in a couple of weeks. I'm trading in a Nightster since I've outgrown it and I want a bike that my old lady can spend more time with me on. After looking around and riding several newer models, I've narrowed it down to either a 2012 Street Bob or a 2012 Blackline. I'll pull some 200-300 mile trips per day, but obviously want a cruiser and not a touring bike right now.

I'm going to go with the Black Denim paint job either way, and I've spent about 30 miles on each. I really like aspects of both and have things that I'll change immediately too. My biggest hold-up is for what I'd pay to get a Blackline stock, I could go ahead and make a few adjustments to the Bob (seat, forwards, pipes, etc.).

I'm leaning towards the Bob (I am in the Dyna Forums after all...) and
I'm looking for some honest opinions from you guys, as there are some amazingly knowledgeable and helpful folks around.

Thanks for the help

Old 08-02-2011, 10:23 PM
quint8
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I was in the same boat as you are. I rode both the street bob and blackline. Both had their good and bad, then I rode the Wide Glide and I was sold. All depends on what style you are looking for and the type of riding you do. I traded in a softail for the dyna and am not looking back. The Dyna just handles so much better and you can add things to turn it into a comfortable cross country bike. Good luck.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 PM
Queballs
5th Gear

I've spent some time on a Wide Glide too, and it was great, but something has me drawn to the Bob. The Blackline was smooth, maybe even a little too smooth for me. My buddy has one and it's his first bike other than a street bike and he absolutely hates it. He let's me take it out anytime I want but I wouldn't push the issue and take it for the weekend or anything like that.

While the Softail was smooth and easy, the Dyna just seemed to feel right.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:39 PM
DCWilcox61
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently bought my first HD and I chose the 2012 Street Bob . . . I have virtually no experience, but liked the big twin power, modest size/weight, and the 'blank slate' to build on. Also, I have no current interest in riding 2-up so the solo set-up suited me well. My .02

Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 PM
quint8
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree 100%.The Dyna is more of a Rider's bike. Softails look cool but if you really enjoy riding then the Dyna is the way to go. Was just in Washington D.C. and rode back through West Virginia, you have some very nice back roads there. The Dyna will shine there!

Old 08-02-2011, 10:48 PM
Queballs
5th Gear

DC you like the stock seat? The one I rode had a badlander two up on it, and it wasn't bad, but I've heard awful things about the stock seat. Funny how every person feels different about every single part of a bike...

quint, West Virginia is one giant back road my man...I live in Beckley, which is about 45 miles south of Charleston. I've lived all over the place but am from here, so I settled back in about 5 years ago to teach and coach. The riding is great in so many places, especially in late September and March. I'd recommend it to anybody to at least take one trip through any part of the state and just enjoy the mountains.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:18 PM
DCWilcox61
Cruiser

Q, I like the stock seat, but don't have enough miles on it yet to give you any real feedback! I've actually ordered the "springer" seat just because I like the look . . . it just hasn't arrived as yet.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM
Queballs
5th Gear

Gotcha...if you don't mind, let me know how you like it after you spend some time on the springer.

I'm gonna get a 2-up for trips with the misses but will get a solo seat as well since I'll spend more time by myself on the bike.

All goes as planned, I'll have it by the 15th or 16th. Have to head to the dealer to work out the specifics and beg for a better deal, then have them order it and wait on labor.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:53 PM
FishStick
Cruiser

the stock seat on a street bob has got to be the most uncomfortable seat I have ever sat on. 1 hour and I had to get off. I bought a sundowner for longer rides. Since I picked up the new seat I have taken a couple of long day rides (500+ miles) through the rockies with no complaints. New seats only take a minute to change and the cost is not to bad for a new 2-up seat.

I would still get the bob over the blackline and dump the extra money into accessories

Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 AM
06hdsb
Advanced

Love the Look of the Blackline, but if you ride hard and love to corner, go with a dyna.

Quick Reply: Street Bob or Blackline?