Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing HandleBar Grips

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:58 AM
LoRyder
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing HandleBar Grips

Ok so whats the best way to first remove stock handle bar grips and then to install new isogrips from Kurakyn
what secrets do you use to get the old one off, cut it ?
and what glues on the new one ?

Old 07-12-2005, 02:11 AM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Changing HandleBar Grips

Take a look in the Sporty's forum: https://www.hdforums.com/m_67920/tm.htm

Old 07-12-2005, 01:24 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

To get the old one off, just slip something flat under the grip enough to spray WD 40 in. Keep working around the grip and spraying until it is loose. I use a hacksaw blade with the teeth ground off, but a butter knife or something similar will work.

As far as gluing the new one on, it should have came with glue. If not, HD has grip glue available.

Regards,

Bill

Old 07-12-2005, 08:09 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Changing grips is very easy and straight forward. The Iso Grip installation instructions can be found right on the Kurakyn website if you have any specific questions. If you plan on reusing the grips, billnourse's suggestion is a good one. If not, you can cut the left one off with a razor knife. The throttle grip comes off after separating the right side switch housings and removing the two cables from the channels in the grip. Be careful of the little brass ferules that hold the end of the cables in the grip, they're easy to lose. When I changed mine, I bought an extra ferrule at the local dealer, "just in case", they're pretty cheap.

Take your time and you'll have a good looking set of grips. You may want to get the HD glue anyway, the glue that comes with the ISO Grips isn't always that good.

Gary

Old 05-24-2007, 05:15 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: DGlide04
You may want to get the HD glue anyway, the glue that comes with the ISO Grips isn't always that good.
So it's not just me then? I tried gluing on the ISO grip with their "death grip" glue and it didn't exactly get the grip on there such that I can't just twist it off with a bit of pressure. I also found it hard to figure out the best way to apply the glue. The bottle is so stiff it's hard to spread blue on the bottom of the handle bar, and trying to apply the glue inside the grip as the instructions say is impossible with the small bottle.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:16 PM
Atomic Injector
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It looks like you can take a screwdriver and twist the brass fitting to get the throttle cables loose but you can't, the brass is way to soft and you will bend the hell out of it.You are better off giving yourself slack in the throttle cable by rolling back the rubber boot on the adjuster in the cable. I rolled my rubber boot back and marked the 2 nuts with a marker and counted how many times I unthreded it. Put it back the wayyou took it apart and everything should be fine.