Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lowering rear end

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 08:58 AM
captainhawg
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lowering rear end

What would you recommend? relocating spacer, shorter shocks, or combination.....

Old 11-22-2006, 09:21 AM
carltex
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Lowering rear end

I put the Harley lowering shocks on mine. Dropped it almost an inch. Stocks are 12 1/2 in. and the others are about 11 3/4. I thought they would be shorter. Progressive makes shocks that are down to about 11 in. I think. Or if you only needed the Harley lowering shocks and had the time you could send your stock shocks to the sponsor Skullmanonline. They will cut your stock shocks to the length you request $69 I think http://www.skullmanonline.com/mb-shocks.html. That is all the Harley shocks are is cut down stock shocks. I should've done this, now I have an extra set of shocks collecting dust in the garage, also coulda saved $$.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

either/or but don't combine anything. also consider lowering/improving the front end as well. see other post on pro front susp.

Old 11-22-2006, 01:53 PM
kpreese
Road Captain

Get the correct lowered shock over an adapter kit. If you move the wheel up without reducing travel, seems like some bad things could happen . . . maybe anyway. The shorter shocks with a progressive spring rate are designed to have shorter travel but to work similar to a stock shock during that first little bit of travel, but progressively get stiffer after that to avoid bottoming out.

I'm pretty sure all the adapter kit options also change up your suspension geometry. Perhaps this isn't really a big deal, but it's definitely not what the engineers had in mind. Personally, I'd avoid them.

Progressive 412's are not all that expensive, are well made and are made in just about any length you want. The cut factory shock option would worry me just because from what I have heard, the factory shock doesn't perform well for very long. An upgraded, progressive spring rate shock designed for the length you desire is probably the "correct" choice. You may have great results with one of the other options too though.

Kevin

Old 11-22-2006, 06:23 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

I went with shorter Progressive 440s and am pleased with the result EXCEPT that I wish I had gone with the heavy duty springs. My suspension bottoms too easily on bumps when I'm riding 2-up. Funny thing is that it didn't start doing that until I put about 10,000 miles on them.

Z

Old 11-22-2006, 06:25 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Carltex is giving you good advice about M&B Enterprises which can be reached through skullmanonline.com I had them do my stock Dyna shocks over a year ago for $69.00 + shipping and had them cut the springs down to 11.5". This turned out to be the perfect length for me, the only problem is that now that I'm ready to replace the shocks with 10,000 + miles on them, Progressive does not sell their less expenseive 412's in an 11.5" length. This forces you to go to an 11" (too short in my opinion) or 12" which won't drop the back fo the bike as much.

Some will tell you that the 11" shocks listed for the pre-1995 FX models will fit, but I don't think you'll get the same message if you call Progressive. It may be just a liability thing on their part, but they don't list a 412 for the newer Dynas in that model. So instead of paying about $200.00 for the 412's, you are looking at almost $400.00 for a set of 418 or 440 model shocks.

My best advice is to take the stock shocks off the bike when/if you lay it up for the winter, ship them out to M&B and then ride for a few months in the Spring with the shortened shocks to see how you like the look and the ride. If you're under 200 lbs. and rarely ride 2-up, the Progressive standard shock springs are what's recommended if you go that route.

Old 11-22-2006, 06:29 PM
lolife
Road Warrior

progressive 412-4037 c or b (chrome or black).this is an 11" shock.

[IMG]local://upfiles/19303/AC4F75DBF5F84BB88AB6B076E01E32F6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-23-2006, 01:40 PM
MAX EVO
Road Captain

I have read many different answers but what is the official STOCK shock length of the Bob? Being I am undecided about the 412 11" heavy duty or the 418 11.5 ' hd?? How many 200 plus riders opt for the heavy duty version shock? My concern is with the 180 tire and the 11 inch shock of rubbing or bottoming out especially with a travel bag on the back.

Old 11-27-2006, 09:09 AM
carltex
Road Warrior

Friend at work has a Low Rider which has the same shocks as the Bob and his measured appx. 11 3/4".
ORIGINAL: MAX EVO

I have read many different answers but what is the official STOCK shock length of the Bob? Being I am undecided about the 412 11" heavy duty or the 418 11.5 ' hd?? How many 200 plus riders opt for the heavy duty version shock? My concern is with the 180 tire and the 11 inch shock of rubbing or bottoming out especially with a travel bag on the back.

Old 11-27-2006, 04:25 PM
Rebel Ryder
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: MAX EVO

your forgetting about the reason for the name "progressive" as in spring rate. plus there are different preload settings. IOW bottoming out should not be an issue.

Quick Reply: Lowering rear end