Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Skull Crush helmets-any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 AM
DMC1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my SC helmet now for about two weeks. It is a decent helmet but I did expect a little better quality for the money I paid and for the fact that it was made in the US. SC touts "Hand made in the US" as one of their selling points. The outer most covering on the ensolite padding that actually touches your head was pulled loose in three different places when I received the helmet. I guess I'll live with it.

I also think the sizing charts need clarification. I bought the size needed based on their chart and it was too small. When I first contacted them I was insulted when the person who responded said you must have it on backwards. Please, I've been on and off bikes for 30 years, I know how to put a helmet on. I had to return it which was a hassle and to this day with each pm sent I never got a name. Responses were short and dry. I did finally get them to give me a number I could call. They did send me the next size. I'll give them that.

If I had it to do again, I would walk.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:49 AM
BBR0000
2nd Gear
Default order

just ordered one last week, guess its too late for doubt. ill let ya all know how it goes

Old 12-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Skull Crush Helmets
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BluBob
That is not my point. I don't know how to be any more clear. ACC/Headtrip screwed a bunch of people out of their money by folding up before anyone could get a refund. Skull Crush says they know nothing of ACC, but it is the same people, same helmet. They hosed a bunch of dudes in the past, and now claim to know nothing about it. If you want to pay $150 for a novelty that you know is not capable of passing DOT standards (because it was tested and failed last year) then go for it. I have no problem with guys selling a product as advertised.

I dropped $340 on two helmets from ACC/Headtrip because they were advertised, sold, and tagged as DOT. When they failed DOT standards the company said I could get a refund. They gave me the runaround for three weeks, then vanished. I find that distasteful. I think I am done with this thread. I don't want to get into a position where I am bashing a company or fellow posters, and I can see that coming. This forum has been extremely helpful to me and others, I just encourage people to do their own research.
I can see the misunderstanding because of the exterior cosmetics. But your accusation is just not true. Skull Crush is not ACC in disguise. The helmets we sell are not the old ACC DOT that were recalled either. If you still have trouble believing this, I would encourage you to notify DOT. I'm sure someone on the forum still has an old ACC DOT. Maybe they could post some detailed pics of it and compare to the Skull Crush pics. It will be obvious that these are not the same helmets. If you have any questions or concerns please call and speak to someone. Always happy to help. 817-565-4060
Thanks for your post. Ride safe.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:51 AM
Skull Crush Helmets
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by DMC1
I've had my SC helmet now for about two weeks. It is a decent helmet but I did expect a little better quality for the money I paid and for the fact that it was made in the US. SC touts "Hand made in the US" as one of their selling points. The outer most covering on the ensolite padding that actually touches your head was pulled loose in three different places when I received the helmet. I guess I'll live with it.

I also think the sizing charts need clarification. I bought the size needed based on their chart and it was too small. When I first contacted them I was insulted when the person who responded said you must have it on backwards. Please, I've been on and off bikes for 30 years, I know how to put a helmet on. I had to return it which was a hassle and to this day with each pm sent I never got a name. Responses were short and dry. I did finally get them to give me a number I could call. They did send me the next size. I'll give them that.

If I had it to do again, I would walk.
I remember our email exchange to be quite different. I just read them again to make sure I didn't miss something. My name is at the bottom of the my signature, Toniette. My responses were short because I have learned that when dealing with men they normally like short to the point responses. Not big on sunshine and rainbows via typed words. I also apologized for suggesting that the helmet was on backwards and explained that it has happened before so that was the reason for the comment. I gave you the number and name to the owner so he could help you with your helmet before you asked for it. The number is also at the bottom of my signature. Your were also given the opportunity to return the helmet if you were unhappy but you chose to exchange it. If you are still unhappy you can exchange/return the helmet. Please call Skull Crush 817-565-4060 for instructions.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:15 PM
Skull Crush Helmets
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by BBR0000
just ordered one last week, guess its too late for doubt. ill let ya all know how it goes
Hi BBR0000, just wanted to check in with you to see how you are liking your new helmet. If you have questions email me or call 817-565-4060.

Old 01-02-2012, 12:19 AM
Ray F.
Novice

Originally Posted by dondee
Hey guys,

I'm trying to find a good helmet that won't emphasize my already way huge melon any more than it already is. Although my head only measures 25" around about the only helmets I can squeeze on are HJC XXX's, and then it looks like a bowling ball sitting on top of another bowling ball. You get the picture.

Anyway the Skull Crush helmets are not actually DOT but the reps do everything but come out and say they're really better than DOT. I was thinking about a 3/4 which they say comes with 3 different size pad sets so it fits anybody.

Anybody know anything about Skull Crush?
Just my humble opinion: If you are wearing a helmet solely because it's the law, then purchasing it based on the way it looks is totally understandable. If, however, you are looking at a helmet as a form of protection, review webbiker's video on DOT vs ECE testing and see why all that interior foam exists in DOT & ECE approved helmets. Very few brain injuries are caused by penatrated shells.

The vast majority of those tests are based on typical impacts of street riders. That's why there are cheap, polycarbonate helmets that can save your life and expensive novelty helmets that will transmit the damaging force of an impact to your brain. It has absolutely nothing to do where they were made.

There are ways to market to people riding the fence. Suggestive videos and reps are probably the best. I'm not bashing. If I were considering novelty, I'd be looking at a Skull Crush Candy beanie strictly because of how incredible they look. I just wouldn't fool myself into considering I was better protected than $20 plastic one in an impact. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck and enjoy!

Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 AM
Nivekian
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Ray F.
If, however, you are looking at a helmet as a form of protection, review webbiker's video on DOT vs ECE testing and see why all that interior foam exists in DOT & ECE approved helmets. Very few brain injuries are caused by penatrated shells.
I'm still unconvinced that EPS Foam is the be all/ end all when it comes to head protection spec. I am unconvinced that helmet development for motorcycles is not that different than it was in the 70's with 1" of styrene bead foam as a protective layer. What about different, more current foams, like flex urethane or silicone foams? The main beef most people have with DOT is the bulk & fit of the Helmet, my issue is that I believe DOT spec has been stagnant.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:57 AM
Ray F.
Novice

Originally Posted by Nivekian
I'm still unconvinced that EPS Foam is the be all/ end all when it comes to head protection spec. I am unconvinced that helmet development for motorcycles is not that different than it was in the 70's with 1" of styrene bead foam as a protective layer. What about different, more current foams, like flex urethane or silicone foams? The main beef most people have with DOT is the bulk & fit of the Helmet, my issue is that I believe DOT spec has been stagnant.
Agreed, however, the manufacturers dicatate what materials are used, not the DOT. I'm pretty sure that the first company that creates a thinner helmet that doesn't sacrifice safety will make a ton of cash. Isn't that why Head Trip was such a success until their DOT rating was revoked?

The DOT sets the standards that the materials have to pass. Those standards are based the most common types of helmet impacts. I don't debate their accuracy (or lack thereof). I'm sure that if you tasked 10 of the most brilliant engineers to create a better series of testing, we'd have 11 different series of tests.....and just as much (if not more) debate on the validity of those tests.

My point, however, was not to question any of the above, as much as help the OP by having him decide his priorities. It's either a great looking helmet or impact safety. His initial post suggested that he was led to believe a novelty helmet was "...really better than DOT." I was trying to help him by finding what his definition of "better" was. If it's impact safety, he was led wrong. If it's an amazing looking head piece for any other reason, he's on the right track with a non-DOT or ECE helmet.

Last edited by Ray F.; 01-02-2012 at 09:59 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:08 PM
supersickdyna
Intermediate

@Toniette, is that you in the sig pic?

Old 01-04-2012, 11:11 AM
Skull Crush Helmets
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by supersickdyna
@Toniette, is that you in the sig pic?
I am almost afraid to answer this question because I am a little unsure what the responses will be. =) But, yes that is me in the profile pic.

Quick Reply: Skull Crush helmets-any experience?