Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some Seat Help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2012, 12:05 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by purevil71
Backstory: I'm currently recovering from my second back surgery in less than a year. My Dr says I have degenerate disk disorder, and have had two ruptured disks in less than a year. I have at least three other disks that are bad that I'm looking at having to have surgery on in the future. But I just want to be able to ride as long as my body will let me (hopefully for a very long time, since I'm only 40).

I currently have the stock seat on my '07 Bob and LOVE the fit and feel of it. I love how it makes you feel like your sitting down in the bike instead of on top of it. What I'm looking for is something that will duplicate the feel of this seat, but give enough padding to help my back.

I found a Sun downer touring seat at a swap meet. It sits me about 3" higher on my bike, and I hate it. Anyway, other than a slip on gel pad or something, do you guys have any advice on what seat I could look into for the bike? Also, it has to be a two up seat or the wife might get a little pissed...lol

Thanks in advance for the help.
Corbin dual tour. Great seat with great support for your back.

Old 02-07-2012, 03:31 PM
purevil71
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MonteW
Have you considered replacing the crap OEM rear shocks? I did and the difference is more significant than seat replacement will do (but more costly, too). I have Ohlins there now but would consider air shocks conversion, too.
To be honest, this hadn't even crossed my mind. Will the softer ride still be good for two up riding? I will for sure look into them though.

Originally Posted by missedem
thanks for the seat link.. they look like they make some great seats.
This....thanks!!

Originally Posted by 07bobber
My mom has the degenerative disk disorder also so i sort of understand what your going thru...

Heres my advice.....

C&c fastback w/ optional back rest= best seat ive ever had, plenty of support without the back rest option too

upgrade your suspension= this is my next mod, i wanna float like a cadillac
Is that the seat in your profile pic? If so, it's a good looking seat.

Old 02-07-2012, 09:40 PM
Jay Risk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default +1 on Ohlins shocks and...

Originally Posted by MonteW
Have you considered replacing the crap OEM rear shocks? I did and the difference is more significant than seat replacement will do (but more costly, too). I have Ohlins there now but would consider air shocks conversion, too.
And look into these gel pad seats from Lake Villa, IL.
http://www.alligatorbob.com/propad.htm

Good luck with your back- the cost of a custom seat and Ohlins suspension isn't cheap, but your back is worth every penny. Jay

Old 02-07-2012, 10:01 PM
feguy1
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Send your seat to Mean City Cycles. Tell em what your after. They will fix ya up.....

Old 02-07-2012, 10:12 PM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Agreed on the backrest. Spread out the weight distribution a little, otherwise it's a lot of pressure on your lower disks.

Abs and core work too. Not just one, but both.

Old 02-07-2012, 10:47 PM
07bobber
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

yessir its the seat in my pic.....you can get it with a removable backrest but i think it gives enough support by itself.

aftermarket suspension would probably be the better but more expensive improvement you could make...

Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 AM
Deuuuce
Elite HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 07bobber
yessir its the seat in my pic.....you can get it with a removable backrest but i think it gives enough support by itself.
No more than a curved barstool. A backrest will give lower lumbar and core support. The seat in that pic doesn't even come close to supporting multiple vertabrae.

Old 02-08-2012, 09:19 AM
FBinSoCal
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My experience

I don't have back problems (yet, thank god) but have shoulder problems. I tried this C&C sport tour w/ backrest and it supported my back very well. Problem for me was it was too hard and I actually felt back and azz discomfort after about 75 miles.

I took it back after two days and went into the mustang wide touring w/backrest per sig photo and it was perfect all around. Every body is different, that's just my experience. The C&C is a beautifully crafted seat though.

Attached Thumbnails Need Some Seat Help...-img_1415.jpg  

Last edited by FBinSoCal; 02-08-2012 at 09:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Robotech
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by purevil71
To be honest, this hadn't even crossed my mind. Will the softer ride still be good for two up riding? I will for sure look into them though.
Two words...Air Shocks.

You can get a set of take offs from a Road King or similar air shock equipped bagger. If you go with the standard length shocks, you can pick them up for $75 per pair or less off eBay and they're virtually brand new. If you need (or want) the "lowered" shocks they're going to run about $150 or so per pair and are harder to find since most folks are replacing their stock length shock with the "lowered" shocks (and hence why there are so many take offs on the market). I did this to my Sportster and it was a night and day difference. Better yet, since you can adjust them they are great for 2-up riding too as you can set the air pressure for whatever load you're carrying. Definately worth it.

I second Mean City Cycles. The seat on my Dyna was done by them. Very comfortable and quality work. Plus, you call them and they tailor the seat to your wieght, the way you ride, and any other special needs or requests you may have. It's a very personal service and I love their work.