Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

arcing issue on battery

Old 02-19-2012, 06:53 PM
rtm58
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arcing issue on battery

One day, a couple of months ago, I was going to work on my 2011 Fat Bob, and I noticed the lights were going dim and then bright again. Rather than push the issue, I immediately went back home and parked the bike. I called and talked to the service manager (I believe) and he told me it sounded like something rather simple and to check to see if the battery leads were tight. Sure enough they were and there was evidence of sparking on the positive terminal. I tightened them and the bike started and ran fine again.

The winter has not been very conducive to riding to and from work, so the bike sat for awhile. I went to start it one day and the battery was dead. I charged it and then was able to start it and let it run a little while, but was not able to take it out and ride.

Today I went to start it and here is what happened:

Turned on ignition, hit starter, one click and all the lights on the panel went out.
Turned ignition key to off and then to accessory. Lights on the accessory side lit up.
Turned ignition back to the start position again and nothing. No lights or anything.
I again hooked a charger up to it and got it charged.
I turned the ignition switch to the start position and one click and the lights went dead again.

I checked the battery. The screw attaching the hot lead to the positive terminal was very difficult to turn. The protective shroud over the terminal end of the wire has burn holes in it. There is a battery charger adapter that is connected to the battery so a charging unit can be plugged in without having to attach cables to the battery. It has a circular connector for the battery bolt to go through and it is burned completely open.

I am not sure if this was all caused by the loose terminal connectors originally, but as you can imagine, it is quite frustrating. I believe the solution would be to install a new positive terminal wire that runs from the battery to the starter (I believe that is where it goes) and to replace the battery.

Do you think any damage has been done to the electrical system, or is it more likely to be just isolated to the battery and terminal connectors? Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Thumbnails arcing issue on battery-016.jpg  
Old 02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 600 Likes on 323 Posts

Your battery is toast..and when you get a new one you make sure it is installed correctly..Looks like that grounded out on the frame Big Time..

Old 02-19-2012, 07:01 PM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 835 Likes on 370 Posts

that happened on a old softail I had. completley metled the post.

this is what happened. you had a slightly loose connection and there was corrosion on the terminal. so then It arched like a sum a bish and melted the post. i replaced my battery, and used a dremel to buzz the corrosion off the leads and bolted them back together. no problems after that.

just goes to show you how much juice is involved with starting the bike.

my whole seat caught fire on the old softail from that same thing

Old 02-19-2012, 07:04 PM
wyldspirit
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was there a battery tender installed? Could have arched across the frame

Old 02-19-2012, 08:31 PM
usaztec66
Advanced

Same thing happened to me. I had the battery tender cable attached and they arched melting the pos terminal. I just removed the battery tender cables and got a new battery and that solved the problem.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:15 PM
rtm58
Advanced

It does have a battery tender installed. I guess it won't anymore. None of my other bikes have one either, this one just came with it already installed. Thanks for the help. I guess if I start riding more often, I won't need no damn charger anyways! So any good websites for ordering that cable and batteries? Or should I just go to the dealer and say hook me up?

Last edited by rtm58; 02-19-2012 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:37 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 161 Posts

That's typical of a loose connection, it pretty much becomes a arch welder. Get a new battery and cable, but this time use Loc-Tite on the threads.

Look here for batteries and Battery Tender info: https://www.hdforums.com/forum/9317072-post34.html

Old 02-19-2012, 09:40 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Part Numbers:
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....m_oem/hdmc.asp
Find your year, model, part, then put a 1 in the qty box of the item or items that you want the part number of, then click on "add items to parts list", then click on "send to cart" to get the part number.

Your battery assembly
http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....dmc&A=733&B=50

Last edited by WS6 Formula; 02-19-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:44 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

If your bike's a 2011 & this problem was caused by faulty assembly - might want to address it w/dealer. I know battery's not covered under warranty, but if the loose connections were a result - might be traced back to poor QC on MOCO or dealer...???

Worth a shot.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:55 PM
WS6 Formula
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Iceman24
If your bike's a 2011 & this problem was caused by faulty assembly - might want to address it w/dealer. I know battery's not covered under warranty, but if the loose connections were a result - might be traced back to poor QC on MOCO or dealer...???

Worth a shot.
Yup! Mine was loose, I got a engine light on the first ride home from the dealer, code was unrelated but I found the loose connection when I was checking into the other issue.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: arcing issue on battery