Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A few Switchback questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Donzie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few Switchback questions

I was going to purchase a run-stop-turn module but one of our forum members said that they did his at the shop by programming it in to the computer. I called a couple of shops and they had no idea what I was talking about. The forum member sent me the shop (they are in another state) phone number and a copy of the invoice showing it had been done.
I called the shop and they confirmed it and can be done. Does anyone else know anything about this? If it can be done why don't other dealers know about it?

Does your Switchcraft have front wheel weights? Mine does and they look awful! Is there an option for this?

Also, I would like taller bars and it seems I read that some have used Heritage bars. If you've done this did you need longer cables or is there enough slack in the factory ones?

I guess that's all for now.
Thanks

Old 07-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Donzie
Cruiser

I can't believe I didn't get any replies to any of these questions. I thought they were valid. Lots of lookers but no takers.

Old 07-31-2012, 07:34 AM
fld103JIM
Novice

I have a switchback too.. I have wheel weights too..The boys over at route 66 h d said all we can do is change the wheels they do not put on clip on weights. as for the rest you ask about i cant answer!

Old 07-31-2012, 08:14 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 182 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzie
I was going to purchase a run-stop-turn module but one of our forum members said that they did his at the shop by programming it in to the computer. I called a couple of shops and they had no idea what I was talking about. The forum member sent me the shop (they are in another state) phone number and a copy of the invoice showing it had been done.
I called the shop and they confirmed it and can be done. Does anyone else know anything about this? If it can be done why don't other dealers know about it?

Does your Switchcraft have front wheel weights? Mine does and they look awful! Is there an option for this?

Also, I would like taller bars and it seems I read that some have used Heritage bars. If you've done this did you need longer cables or is there enough slack in the factory ones?

I guess that's all for now.
Thanks
sorry Donzie, didn't see this post..

in any case to answer your questions

YES i have a lot of weight on my front wheel and i do mean a lot i believe it is 9 1/4 oz? weights.
don't know of any other options to remove these as the tire beads i have heard both good and bad about.

heritage bars i have read are a direct swap with no cable change necessary

you can turn the rear signals in to brake lights on the 2012 and up models but they will not function as running
lights too if you want that you will need some type of module.
to get the rear signals as brake lights they need to access the BCM on the bike
with the star tech tool, my shop also didn't know how to do it until i gave them these short directions
to the shop manager, he was surprised that it could be done but said COOL and told the tech what to do.
as with most shops i was billed 1/2 hour labor for a 5 minute job but it was worth it as seen in photos below

thanks to Saphira who's HD mechanic told her how it is done

all they have to do is
__________________________________________________ _____________________________________________

go to the setup menu and choose turn signal and brake instead of turn signal only.

If you also plan on using 3rd party LED light the ECM will also auto-compensate for
the load resistance change.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________________

then you get red lenses and swap them out with your yellow.

running lights

brake lights, i am running the bright *** lights tail light and now have the signals as brakes

Last edited by 1HD1C; 07-31-2012 at 08:20 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:32 AM
Elemental13
Cruiser

the dyna beads need to be installed on a balanced wheel then you can run it with both for alittle and your supposed to be able to take the stick ons off after alittle while. when the beads get set up into the wheel. i have them on my truck and im happy at higher speeds but some speeds you can stilll feel a vibration so it reall your choice id stay with the stick on ones imo

Old 08-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Donzie
Cruiser

Thanks guys. I did register on the Switchback forum, thanks for the invite.

I copied the info about the rear lights and sent it to the service manager at our local dealer, hopefully he'll hook me up.

I might wait a bit and then pull off the wheel weights, I just think they ruin the looks of the front wheel.

We (my fiance' and me) are enjoying our bikes a lot. We've added a few trinkets, just don't have the cash to do too much right now.

If I can use Heritage bars without buying new cables I'll do it right away.

Old 08-01-2012, 09:20 AM
numismaddict
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking Rear turn signal mod

Even though you can reprogram your 2012 bike so that the rear turn signals act as stop lights as well, in many states (Michigan for one) you'll probably have to replace the rear turn signal lenses with red ones to be legal. The Harley mod kit comes with the red lenses, only takes about 5 minutes to install, and makes the rear turn signals running lights as well. It was first mod I did on my Switchback the week I bought it one year ago (this past week!)