Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle how-to?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:22 AM
Ramblin_Gunner
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle how-to?

Alright guys, you'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge, but how tough is it to take apart the grips and throttle to change handle bars? Does anyone know of a good video or have pictures of the process?

Old 07-23-2012, 08:50 AM
milesvdustin
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did mine this weekend, it isn't that difficult. What I did to help was to zip tie the cables to the bars so the ends wouldn't pull the housing all over while trying to adjust it. I don't know of a tutorial, but the service manual will ensure you have all your cables in the right place. Throttle to the front, idle to the rear. If you can adjust your clutch cable then adjusting the throttle cables is a piece of cake.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:58 AM
Ramblin_Gunner
Advanced

Haha, I'm new to the whole bike maintenance work... Maybe I'll grab a buddy to show me how

Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 AM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

When I did my handlebars I just removed the screws for the switch housings and the grips came right off. Didn't need to disconnect the throttle/clutch cables or the brake line. The cables are easy to remove though.

Service manual is a good investment.

Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 AM
crimson13
Elite HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

It is nothin to it I went by the service manual and no trouble at all,if you don't have to change the cables do like 02fx4dude.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:07 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by 02fx4dude
When I did my handlebars I just removed the screws for the switch housings and the grips came right off. Didn't need to disconnect the throttle/clutch cables or the brake line. The cables are easy to remove though.

Service manual is a good investment.
You are suppose to support the brake lever so that the little switch does not break inside.

Did you do that? Are your brake lights on all of the time?

Old 07-23-2012, 03:23 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Gommee
You are suppose to support the brake lever so that the little switch does not break inside.

Did you do that? Are your brake lights on all of the time?
I didn't do anything with the brake switch, I think that's only if you remove the lever. Even when I swapped my levers for the black ones I didn't know why the manual has those instructions. It's a small micro/limit switch, just have to watch for it.

If I remember right, the throttle grip and cables came off the bars together. Likewise the switches/master cylinder/lever/brakeline came off in one unit I wrapped in a towel and suspended from the top fork clamp with cable ties while I was doing the work.

Old 07-23-2012, 03:42 PM
2011FXDC
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

disregard

Last edited by 2011FXDC; 07-23-2012 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 08:11 PM
Ramblin_Gunner
Advanced

Sorry to keep bringing this up, but just talked to Harley and tld me the install would take 8hrs and $800 ... Am I missing something.?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:21 PM
Dirknar
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ramblin_Gunner
Sorry to keep bringing this up, but just talked to Harley and tld me the install would take 8hrs and $800 ... Am I missing something.?
WOW! I have only done it 3 times, with 2 different Harleys.. I can do it in 2-2 1/2 hours if I dont have to drain the brake line down and install new line.. Thats with running the wires Internally in the bars as well.. I just put my new wide glide bars on a few weeks ago, on a sat morning after mowing the lawn and was riding by noon.. What are they smoking?

Do it yourself.. Its very easy, your first time will take a while but that 800 bucks can buy you some new ported/polished Head work and more.. And you will learn about your bike..

Quick Reply: Throttle how-to?