Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Candlepower Inc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2012, 11:29 PM
Alleyn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Candlepower Inc. Headlamp Replacement

The first occasion I had to ride after dark, on my Street Bob, convinced me that Harley's Lighting Dept is still living in 1955. The yellow-ish light, shadows and poor pattern were completely unacceptable for a modern motorcycle. Replacing the bulb, with a Sylvania Xtravision gave me a whiter light, but the shadows and poor pattern remained.

Not having the funds for an LED conversion, I decided to contact Candlepower Inc. recomended by a moderator, a couple years back. (wescoot2) Checking the website, I ordered the recomended 5-3/4" replacement assembly #H402212SBL. Shipped priority mail, it arrived two days later. Total price was about $62.

Installing it, I noticed that it's somewhat lighter than the stock assembly. The lens and reflector are made in Japan (Surprise! They aren't from China.) And the H4 bulb that came with the unit, is from Narva. Being leery of lesser known bulb makers, I decided to retain my nearly new Sylvania.
Installation is straight forward, although I had to forgo the 'park' light feature in the stock reflector. And the assembly didn't tighten down, as secure as I'd have liked, without a couple wraps of electrical tape under the bezel.

The installed lens is nearly flat, unlike the rounded OEM unit it replaced, so some nostalgic folks may not like the 'sealed beam' look of it. And in the daylight, it has a slightly cloudy look... almost light blue, though it did not cast a blue light when turned on.

At night, this thing ROCKS! Commuting on two-lane roads, I am primarily concerned with the low-beam on any given setup, and this works better than expected. I have three to four seconds of headlight, traveling up to 50 mph. The beam is wide (nearly two lanes), and devoid of most shadows. Critters on the sides of the road, show up pretty well.

The high beam casts a light far out into the distance, but signs reflected back too much glare, for me to evaluate it. Another night, on a more open desert, will be required.

The replacement lens came packed in a sturdy carton, via USPS, with instructions and a hand-writen thank you note, from Candlepower. Let's see Motorcycle Superstore do that.

Attached Thumbnails Candlepower Inc.-2012-08-26_20-01-39_873.jpg   Candlepower Inc.-2012-08-26_20-02-43_84.jpg  

Last edited by Alleyn; 08-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:41 AM
Pistonman1
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 23 Posts

Just checked out the website. Right now they are $ 10 off, on sale.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:17 AM
DCLXVI
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Narva bulbs are made in Germany and not really considered a "lesser" bulb. Probably better than the Sylvania. The Sylvanias made with the Osram name were good too, German made. Most of the ones available here now are not the same quality.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM
Alleyn
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

These are marked as being made in Poland. Being Polish, I have nothing against that, but the bulb looked cheaply constructed.

I'm ordering another lens and reflector for my wife's Sporty... maybe I'll give it a try then.