Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Street Bob / Green Pearl

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 05:00 AM
blackfinbob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Street Bob / Green Pearl

RK Hellas,
I'm a bit confused by your question there....If I could have both a rk and a bob, I'm not sure I would consider taking the bob on a long trip when the rk is more of a touring bike....I would say the opposite. Use the bob around town and take the rk on long trips...
I have put 9000 miles on the bob in 10 months and it is stable, fun to ride, and handles the highway and twisties just fine..On long trips, you have to be creative...throwover saddlebags, a max pack on the luggage rack and your ready to go..I took a 4 day 1200 mile trip this summer and I was good to go.
I have never owned a rk, but chances are someday when I can have two bikes, it will be the combination you are considering. I would have a hard time parting ways with "bob".
jdog

Old 01-23-2007, 05:44 AM
Original Junior
Road Master

Yes, you have to be creative with the bob (luggage rack, throw overs, back pack, etc.) but it's not bad. I've done the back pack and most recently the luggage rack with a roll bag on trips to Daytona. On average, I rack up about 1800 miles per trip. 3 trips so far and another Bike Week coming up. I wear a pair of jeans, a t-shirt, a sweatshirt, and pack disposable socks and underwear. I throw away the underwear and socks after use (they were old to begin with) and I buy a t-shirt to wear. They were short trips of 3-4 days. I just wear the same jeans and maybe wash them at my buddy's place. I'm all about not packing much, only the essentials. I guess it's an Army thing.

Old 01-23-2007, 10:58 AM
GeeRam
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Z
I've heard the superstition against green race cars but never heard it related to bikes or non-race vehicles.
I think the superstition in racing is related to green on a crash helmet rather than the car colour.....[&:]

For decades most British race cars were BRG or shade thereof....Bentley, Aston-Martin, Jaguar, Vanwall, Lotus etc.....
But, you'll never ever see a driver with a green or predominately green colour in his crash helmet....???

Can't remember the history of it now though......???

Old 01-23-2007, 01:13 PM
Gray
Novice

Just some quick observations. I have owned a '07 Steet Bob since August '06 but haven't gotten to ride it much (1,400 miles) and have only ridden local or with just a few 1 hour each way trips. So this is just an early opinion.

That color scheme you mention is one that caught my eye but not for the Bob - rather for the Springer Classic. I did see a Bob with it and while it was decent I didn't think it looked all that appropriate for the Bob. Plus the color in the catalog and online is slightly off than in real life - I actually liked the "picture" color better. Anyway, I passed over that color and ended up with the Pewter Denim. The blue also looks really good.

As for riding - so far it's been pretty good but don't lean over too far. I've twice scrapped what I thought were the pegs, actually was the muffler! I used to ride sport-tourers so like to lean but both times on the Harley I swear I wasn't leaning much at all! The low ground clearance is the cause but on the plus side when you stop your feet are firmly planted on the ground and it's no trouble holding up the monster weight (compared to my previous bikes - haha). It is nice but really wish it were an inch or two higher. Sometimes when I am stopped in big rig road ruts it seems like I'm standing in a hole or I'm a midget. Haha.

Gearing - works pretty good. 1st (much of the time) and sometimes 2nd (on downshifts) will give you a "thunk". I like my gears quiet but guess some like the powerful? sound. Also in '07 they came out with 6 speed gearbox for Dyna's and that makes for a nice low RPM highway cruise. However - the 6th gear is basically never used under 65 MPH as it will lug the engine. Just barely need 5th gear at 55 MPH. I was constantly in too high of a gear until I got used to the spacing.

Lastly, for anything over 45 MPH I prefer a windshield - especially if you wear a half skid lid or your eyes tend to water. There is a ton of wind blowing past you on this bike and I'd imagine it would be even worse if I kept the stock mini-ape bars. I have the Street Slammers and really like them, plus they create a great profile for the Bob. No windshield and hang-on to those bars while you hold yourself up. Haha. On the downside, the windshield looks especially stupid on the Bob so I only use it when necessary. I have the HD touring quick release and it's very easy on and off but doesn't really direct the flow appropriately or fit well. Plus it doesn't mount flush onto the bike so there is lot's of dead space and/or not covered space. If I were to use it more I may end up taking it to a glass/lexan cutting place and have some mod's done.

Well, there is more I could say about it but my time has run out.

Take care and good luck.

Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 PM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

One correction - paragraph #4: the 6 speed tranny came out in the 2006 Dyna line. That makes our '06 Dynas classics; 88" motor/6 speed tranny...

Old 01-23-2007, 09:37 PM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's mine. After seeing that paint scheme sitting on the dealer floor, there was no other bike I could get (I do wish they'd two-toned the back fender though, would have made it a little sharper - but I might just get that done myself someday).

[IMG]local://upfiles/19667/E93386B721034481810EC69182D390DA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-25-2007, 12:04 AM
2TOGO
1st Gear

that about sums up my "bob' experiences so far too. The windshield takes the dork factor into the red zone, but if i go over 100 or so miles, its worth it.

Old 01-25-2007, 02:53 AM
boogiewithtuck
Road Warrior

'Nuthin dorky about a windshield, bro.They do look kinda funny on a Bob but I'm sure its quick-dettach, right. If your a daily rider, sure makes a misty/rainy ride to work bearable. I run mine about 30% of the time.