Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need new tires

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 05:49 PM
Bigfoots03HD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need new tires

Ok guys I need to buy new tires so I'm debating between putting dunlops back on or going with Michelin or metezler tires. Let me know what brand you guys think I should go with. Thanks

Old 01-20-2013, 06:41 PM
arkstreetbob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just put Avon's on about 500 miles ago and realy like them. Got them from American Motorcycle Tire with free shipping and a good price.

Old 01-20-2013, 06:49 PM
ktrick01
Cruiser

I've been riding Harleys for 35 years and have tried every tire brand you can imagine (except Chinese). I've always come back to Dunlops, although all were good tires. Just depends on what you like yourself. I'm not a hot roder or cafe racer, etc., just expect good performance with good mileage. I'll stick with Dunlops, just a personal opinion. Opinions are just like belly buttons though, everyone has one.

Old 01-20-2013, 07:38 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

i just bought a dunlop K591 for the rear, seems to handle just as good as the oem michelin. hopefully it will last longer than it did. 8k it was toast

Old 01-20-2013, 08:58 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default New Tires

Just a word of advice on new Michelin tires...I just put a new set of Michelin Pilot Road 3s on my bike back in September. I thought I had make a huge mistake but I had the original Pilot Road 1s and loved the way they handled. The new tires were all over the place every time I rode the bike. I thought they were the worst tires I ever installed on any vehicle. Anyway, after about 5 long rides on the bike, they finally leveled out and are great. The problem was the release agent they sprayed in the mold when the tire was made. I have never had it last that long on any tires I've ever had. Maybe the tread compounds on these type of tires requires extra release agent to get the tire to release from the mold but it was really dangerous till it burned off in about 10 heat cycles.
Just a heads up...

Old 01-20-2013, 09:35 PM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

hence the term "scrubbed in" when running a new tire

Old 01-21-2013, 02:13 PM
paullavery
Road Master
Received 111 Likes on 79 Posts

I went with metzelers & can't believe the improvement over stock tyres ! I know some guys say they don't get the mileage out of these compared to other tyres but I'll be sticking with them.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM
UnlimitedLimited
6th Gear

Michelin Contender II in my opinion is probably the best for dry and wet traction, and they advertize 25 or is it 50 percent longer tread life, I have 6,000 Plus miles on then on my 12 Ultra classic and checked them the other day and they look great. the stock HD Dunlop tires went at 12,000 for me. The cupping problem is what I got with them. That is a problem and you can check on this forum. Just read what is being said about these tires and also see where HD slammed them as well. I saw that on a monthly email that HD sends me.
So far I am very pleased

Old 01-21-2013, 02:28 PM
Mid-Night-Rider
Tourer
Received 89 Likes on 50 Posts

I've was using Dunlops for a long time before trying something different. I went with the metz last summer and found a huge improvement in handling. I keep hearing they don't last as long as the duns, and I don't expect them too. But have yet to find out for myself how long they will actually last.

Dunlops seem to handle a little weird on grooved concrete highways. Maybe it's the squiggly line tread pattern down the middle of the tire? I don't know if I'll go back to the metz next time around, but I know I'm not going back to the duns any time soon. Or any tire with similar tread pattern.

Old 01-21-2013, 03:34 PM
Bilco60
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just changed mine last weekend. Went with Metzler after the recommendation from an indy shop. So far i'm pretty impressed at the difference, especially on the freeways here in California. Will have to see what kind of life i get. The Dunlop gave me about 6800.

Quick Reply: Need new tires