Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stock primary vs. belt drive primary

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 AM
360bubba
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stock primary vs. belt drive primary

I just finished building a 93 dyna wg. I purchased as a basket case and did not discover until I had the motor together that all four bolt holes for the primary to mount were blown out and while on the bench something heavy fell on the case and broke about half the round seal that fits case to primary, clean off. I welded the holes shut and drilled, tapped, heli coil, and that worked out fine. The problem is that I don't have a machine shop and my budget was stretched beyond what I could reasonably afford, so I laid down some metal when i filled the holes , to build up the missing ring. Then , with a 4" grinder, die grinder, and sander, cleaned it all up and had it looking swell. Only problem is that for all its good looks, It just did not fit as it should. Of course not, it wasn't machined. Result? A very leaky primary. So I tried a few different "cures" suggested by buddies, all of which lasted, at best, a couple hours riding, then leaking.
So... I have aquired an old school primo rivera belt drive primary. My question is, can I use the same inner primary cover from the chain drive? And if so, do I need to make any mods to it or do I just run with it as is?
I welcome any input as I have been reduced to riding a crotch rocket just to be riding. I need to get my Dyna out of the garage and back on the road asap. Thanks.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:51 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 257 Posts

Should be fine, I look after a chopper that runs the same or similar set up with the standard primary cases.

You'll soon see when you put it together but I am 99.9% sure that the inner track of the belt drive is the same as the chain.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:52 PM
Spanners39
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by 360bubba
I have been reduced to riding a crotch rocket just to be riding..

I feel your pain.........

Old 03-09-2013, 02:13 PM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

man i have no idea bud... may want to contact primo to ask. i am however pretty sure the inner is replaced on most belt drives due to the starter gear