Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyna which one?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2007, 08:34 AM
machpilot
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dyna which one?

I am about to purchase my 1st H-D, Im stationed in South Korea and buying it through the military purchasing program. I was going to buy a 1200 custom but everyone keeps saying go with a dyna. "Id out grow the Sporty in a year" So my question is.....for a rider of my stature...I am 5ft 6in and im around 170-175lbs depending how many guinness's i had night before...what would be a good option for me ..I realy want a wide glide....have forever.....but i cant sit on one here in Korea to feel it...they have 1200 customs with forward controls but no dynas. Would the Wide glide be a bit much for the stretch factor for me? The wide glide is about as much as i can spend...but i was thinking about the other mods of the Dynas. I also havent ridden a bike in 18 years....so i want something tamable......but comfortable....just to get me back into the swing of things.....Bike will see highway use but mostly in town use. I was going to wait till my 20th year in the army for a present to myself....but screw it im tired of waiting....i have given 18 years to the US Army.....not waiting another day....lol

Old 03-03-2007, 09:03 AM
hd_sob
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna which one?

Skip the Sporty and go directly to the Wide Glide. If you haven't ridden in 18 years, you will have to become acclimated to any of them, so it might as well be the WG. If you feel comfortable on a 1200 with forwards, I wouldn't worry about the WG. Sure, its bigger and heavier, but not 'scary' big and heavy. Dynas are pretty rider friendly. If you can afford it, GET THE WIDE GLIDE...

Old 03-03-2007, 10:05 AM
soup48
Road Captain

Everyone is right about the Sporty,and what hd_sob said go for the Wide Glide or you can look at the LowRider. I have two, one '04 FXD that my wife took and an '06 FXDCI. I'm 5'7" tall and I love my bike. Get to sit on each one and make your pick.

Old 03-03-2007, 10:22 AM
Alien Spyder
Grand HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Riding a bike is just like riding a bike!

I hadn't rode a motorcycle in 10 years and I had never ridden a Harley Davidson.

The wife & I rented a Night Train while on vacation in San Diego and within 2 or three miles I was back to lovin life!

I can't believe I had forgotten how fun riding was!

Last fall the wife & I rented a 2006 Dyna Wide Glide for a weekend in the mountains of New Hampshire and I thought the bike was sweet! It was set up witha detachible windshield, bags, comfortible 2-up seat and back rest.

It had the 6 speed tranny and the eazy clutch so I was pretty impressed with it.

You can easily remove all the 2-up stuff and the bike can look pretty sweet. Just search around the Dyna gallery and check out all the looks.

I'm 5'8" and 160 lbs.

Good luck with your decision!

[IMG]local://upfiles/9521/C71BA0446E9F4CE5AA683B7DCA11A309.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2007, 10:30 AM
WdGldDave
Road Captain

I'm a wide glide owner and I love it. At 6 ft 200lbs I feel very confident with the reach to the ground and the forward controls. I remember when I first got it I felt that I was just barely tall enough to keep it balanced at a red light, especially with a passenger. 2 years later, it's no problem but the first several months was a bit scary at times. I remember that when I sat on the Street Bob I felt like it had a lower center and was an easy reach to the ground. I guess I'm saying that you might want to check out the bob too. They look great and have the same engine. They are very reasonably proced. Be sure to read about the inner bearing recalls and the handle bar recalls on the 06 wideglides before you buy anything in the Dyna line. You just need to make sure that these issues have been handled. Whatever you get, you are going to love it. Re. the Sportster - they are great but I still have trouble understanding why people think of them as starter bikes. They are tall and narrow and hard to balance for a newbie. They are also fast and light. Don't take this the wrong way SB owners, I think the friendliest starter bike in the HD line is the Street Bob for the reasons I listed above. Some of the issues I mention are affected by the width of the seat and some are affected by the height of the bike. Seats are easy to change, height is a little more complicated. Whether you want to have a passenger seat is another factor that you should probably consider. The WG was born for a rider and a passenger. The SB is a little more of a solo bike but can be altered to work.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:16 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Don't forget to take a good look at the Super Glide. Personally I think it is probably best bang for the buck in the Dyna Family.

It has mid controls. I personally think that Mids are much better. I am a big ol guy too. Mids might help you out in your "relearning". Just my opinion.

But yah Go Dyna. Unless you have them hop that sporty up right out of the gate. Get the sporty to about 80hp and you would be happy for a long time.

Old 03-03-2007, 12:17 PM
jca_54
Tourer

machpilot,

First of all, THANKS for your 18 years of service to our country. It is greatly appreciated. You might want to consider a low rider or street bob as well. You can put shorter shocks on the wide glide (or any dyna) tolower the seat height. The HD website has a side by side comparison feature that lists all of the vital statistics (i.e., wheelbase, rake, seat height, etc.) for each model.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17815/D97C33DB5BA54970ABB24A5D233BBC7F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-03-2007, 01:28 PM
bradvols
Cruiser

Have you already taken your mid-tour leave? I know there used to be quite a few of the DA civilians that worked at Casey and hung out in TDC that rode, ask around see if you can find some Dynas to at least sit on and if you havent taken mid tour wait till you can get stateside and rent a couple. Me personally I say wide glide if thats what you always wanted get it otherwise nothing will make you happy for long. I was in the same boat and went through a few bikes before my WG now I got the bike off my dreams. Don't worry about being to short for it thats why they make reach seats and lowering shocks you can make the bike fit you. Good Luck.

Old 03-03-2007, 02:26 PM
Helix
Tourer

As others have stated - THANKS for serving our country!! We appreciate all you do !

I personaly have a Street Bob and wouldnt trade it for the world. I rode a Sportster for 3 years before this bike and your friends are right, youll want to trade out of the Sporster fairly soon. Unless your a die hard Sportster fan. The entire Dyna Line is absolutely awesome. I say this from experience , buy what you want ! If the WG is what youve always dreamed about then thats the one you should have. Youll always wonder what it would be like if you bought something else. The WG , IMHO is the best bike in the HD Line up. I'd Love to have one but alas I cant afford it. The Bob rocks for bumping around town , 30 mile trips to work and shorter road trips. It handles like a dream and has the retro Bobber look that I really like.Another Bike to look at that also is the same Price of the WG Is The Softail Custom. It has the same chopper look as the Glide and its a softail .If you like exposed shocks and the chopper look thats the WG. If you like the look w/o shocks and still want a chopper look consider the Softail Custom.All In all you cant go wrong with any HD!! Buy what you always wanted and enjoy life!!

Old 03-03-2007, 02:33 PM
KBFXDLI
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for your service!! I would look seriously at the lowrider because it has the lowest seat height and you should be able to put both feet flat on the ground which is why I picked it. It has a real low center of gravity which makes it easy to balance. It's a little different getting used to slow speed turning because of the exra rake on the front fork but you get used to that in no time. Plus it comes with lots of chrome stock & black powder coated engine. FWIW, I grew out of the Sportster in 1 year as well.

Quick Reply: Dyna which one?