Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My new FXDP

Old 09-19-2013, 07:03 AM
JVince
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My new FXDP

I just picked this up this week. 2003, 8k miles, 103 conversion. Tons of fun to ride, a pain to troubleshoot electrical with all the extra police stuff in there.

Any other 01-04 Defender owners out there? I'd love to find a model specific forum if they exist. I know it was a pretty limited run of these bikes.

Old 09-19-2013, 07:07 AM
dpriest
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice bike. Congrats. I didn't know they made that model.

Old 09-19-2013, 08:24 AM
Wranglin4Life
Tourer

Looks like a very clean bike. Looks like you need a battery cover though, unless you wanted to keep it open. nice find!

Old 09-19-2013, 08:34 AM
JVince
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1dark883
Looks like a very clean bike. Looks like you need a battery cover though, unless you wanted to keep it open. nice find!
Thanks! I'm looking for one right now. Overall the bike needs a little TLC, but I got an extra tank and a black dash for the speedo/tach as well as the cop hard bags with the deal. If I can get the brake light working I'll be off an running with the rest of the project.

Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice bike. There's a retired police bike forum http://www.retiredpolicebikes.com/. I didn't really find any more information on there. I had a brake light problem with mine. It was the handlebar switch.

Attached Thumbnails My new FXDP-100_1134.jpg  

Last edited by DanDman; 09-19-2013 at 04:44 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 11:27 AM
sonnydaze
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

my fxdp as of today . check your brake light relay too

Old 09-19-2013, 11:45 AM
JRK5892
Banned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

very nice! i am pretty sure i did the shocks and air cleaner on that bike! good looking scoot!

Old 09-19-2013, 12:53 PM
M&P340
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a handsome bike you have there! Nice find. I have an '04 FXDP.

Yep, you're right about the rarity. The entire run of FXDP's from 2001-2004 only produced 2,166 bikes total. I don't know how many were produced in '03, but only 304 were made in '04 (0.09% of HD's total production run). You can get lots of great/useless info by calling HD customer service with your VIN.

I understand from other posts your bike was once in police service. That can have interesting implications. I bought mine as it was retired from the El Paso PD after 7 years of rough service. Those sorry cops just cut all the wiring going to any emer equipment right before the auction. What a mess! I'd turn the lights on, and the freakin horn would blow! Took me a while. Lots o probs.

You can simply remove the batt & paint it & will look better . That's what I did with a grey replacement batt (used spray-on bed liner paint, tough as nails).

Don't know of an FXDP forum, but we can def stay in touch. Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails My new FXDP-defender-rt-side-lo-res.jpg   My new FXDP-black-no-bags.jpg  
Old 09-19-2013, 02:19 PM
JVince
Intermediate

Yep. I've found two cut harness sections under the seat already. Luckily the only things not working are the brake light and horn. I can fix the horn no problem but the brake light is amazingly difficult. Relay, pressure switch, everything looks OK and I GET voltage on the brake light circuit when the front or rear brake is applied, but the second bulb element doesn't light up. New bulbs, alternate socket wiring, nothing worked. It's very strange. I'm no electrician but I know my way around a multimeter and the only thing I can think of now is a back feed or residual current via the ground or something. Totally guessing at this point, hehe! I'm driving by the local chopper shop today to see if they have any ideas.

*edit* I just realized I didn't post the particulars of my problem here but they're in the electrical section . I'll definitely keep in touch with another FXDP owner!

Last edited by JVince; 09-19-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:00 PM
dpk20x
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool bike. Here's my 04. Had no idea there was only 304 made that year. Guess the value just went up!! Look for it on Ebay soon!! Starting bid 40K

Wish I could help on the brake light. Maybe a broken ground if you're getting voltage to the bulb??

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My new FXDP