Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wont idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Kris Karma
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation wont idle

99 fxds dyna lowrider convertible...
(1)flood the intake with gas and will run steady over 2000 rpms... will not idle below that or start without flooding with fuel...
(2)rebuilt carburetor, jets are not clogged but did notice the reason the bike runs after 2500 is because the carb is sucking fuel from the float bowl through the accelerator pump. wasn't sure if that's normal or not. Sprayed carb cleaner through carb ventricle holes seamed ok. Wish I could pull a working carb off another bike to confirm it is or not the carb but is what it is. Also replaced all the gaskets around the intake ventricle...
(3) believe the compression is fine due to starts fine when has plenty of fuel.
(4)spark is great. got new wires and plugs. the correct plugs (my 101 first to do when engine doesn't start normally)
(5) Not the cam, plastic cams has been replaced with steel and new pushrods added along with rings and seals at 35,000. (Only reason I bought it! Definitely don't want to go through that ****!)
- at last, carburetor is an easy fix, but before I do buy a new carb would like info from those who may know the problem. Hate to buy and still acts the same. Or have the Harley shop pickup and repair if all I need is a new carb... Found in another forum could be a failed sensor from someone else had a simular prob...
- All comments and suggestins are appreciated...

Old 04-09-2014, 02:08 AM
Foxster
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like the needle and/or it's seat are worn, leading to the float bowl level being too high. Not sure if the seat is replaceable on the version of the carb you have but if it is then I'd swap out the needle and seat then adjust the tab for the float height as per the workshop manual.