Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP Engine Chirp Noise

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2014, 11:47 AM
Godzilla88
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation HELP Engine Chirp Noise

02 Dyna Wide Glide

I started it right up like everyday before headed to work
but

There is a loud chirping noise. I can hear it well if i place my ear against the exhaust pipe (but not for to long, gets hot) where it connects to the head, front of the bike.
Ive read up and figured it can be from a bad lifter, bad cam shoe, chain tensioner

I was wondering if anyone else hasencountered this problem, bike has ran normally, no lose of power, no clunking or clanking noise, i have plenty of oil no exhaust leaks, motor mounts are tight.
again its like a chirping noise, and squeek as if something is rubbing or not lubricated

Old 06-15-2014, 12:20 PM
Godzilla88
3rd Gear

And ive read a few other posts, the chirp happens right when i fire it up, through idling, decel and accel, its just a constant. It has been running like a champ for years never an issue but the starter going out. im thinking lifters might be going bad or have a flat spot on them but i dont know for sure.....

Old 06-15-2014, 12:37 PM
kcflhri
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Had a similar sounding (no pun intended ) issue on my 2000 King a few years ago.
Had Samson slip on's and it turned out to be a baffle that had broke loose. Actually got worse over time allowing me to track it down.
Gave me a good excuse to get new pipes....
Good luck.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:53 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

Lifters will cause a ticking sound in the top end, not a chirp, what is the mileage on the bike, have the tensioners ever been inspected?

Old 06-15-2014, 02:47 PM
Godzilla88
3rd Gear

57500 miles on the bike, never checked the tensioners, do i need to drain the oil to do so?

the whole pipes set up are maybe two years old as is.
so maybe when i take em off to check the tensioners i can check the baffle, and i believe the noise is loudest when i listen to the front pipe more than the back pipe

Old 06-15-2014, 02:49 PM
Godzilla88
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
Lifters will cause a ticking sound in the top end, not a chirp, what is the mileage on the bike, have the tensioners ever been inspected?

Im decent in my mechanics skills built engines for cars and what not, any special tools or ways to take off and replace tensioners? ive never had any issues with the bike so never learned much besides add ons and oil changes

Old 06-15-2014, 03:54 PM
Godzilla88
3rd Gear

And i figure since im having problems with it, here She is

"Grace" and my dog haha
HELP Engine Chirp Noise-photo.jpg

Old 06-15-2014, 04:19 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 51 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a chirp on my front heat shield rubbing against the head, you can check that, but at 57k and an 02 , time to get those tensioners checked, you will lose couple of ounces, and that's it, just remove the 10 or so allen screws holding the cover on , put a pan under the bike to catch the couple ounces you will lose, check the front and rear tensioners, the rear is the most common to wear out.

Old 06-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Godzilla88
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
I had a chirp on my front heat shield rubbing against the head, you can check that, but at 57k and an 02 , time to get those tensioners checked, you will lose couple of ounces, and that's it, just remove the 10 or so allen screws holding the cover on , put a pan under the bike to catch the couple ounces you will lose, check the front and rear tensioners, the rear is the most common to wear out.

So I don't have to drain the oil? Because I did a oil change two months ago haha

Old 06-15-2014, 06:53 PM
halflump1971
Stage I
Default chirp

hi im new to this and need help with a chirp noise coming from the front of my 94 dyna lowrider just wounder if anyone had the same thing and when I push softly on the jugs it stop so if any one can help please my first and only baby love this bike

Quick Reply: HELP Engine Chirp Noise