Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How difficult is it to change rear shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 12:18 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default How difficult is it to change rear shocks?

As the title says! I've so far done my own exhaust, and air cleaner. I'm pretty handy and take my time, have access to plenty of tools but not a lift.

My stock shocks are set as light as possible and I still find them fairly harsh. Thinking of making this my next upgrade. Any suggestions for a comfortable plush riding shock that's reasonably priced (I weigh about 160 fully loaded)?

Would like to do this on my own if possible though.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:20 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

I weigh about 160 fully loaded ... I always weigh myself sober, scared I'll fall off the scales otherwise! ( Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity ) ... Good luck with your project.

The following users liked this post:
onionz (04-03-2023)
Old 07-31-2014, 12:24 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think you would have much of a problem. It is straight forward to do. If you have a jack it is really easy to do.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It's very easy to change rear shocks, if you have already done pipes this will be a breeze. You just need to jack the rear up with a bottle jack or a floor jack.

Sadly when it comes to shocks you only get what you pay for. Now alot of guys have bought shocks for 200$ to 400 $ range and say they are super satisfied, I don't know but if I ever got new shocks they would be really high quality shocks. I used to have progressive 440 shocks which in their day was about their top of the line shock paid 444$ on sale, but hated them --- waaaaaaaaaayyyy stiff.

Best advice I can give you is buy longer shocks if anything, the longer the shock the more travel they have = lesss bottoming out more room to absorb the shock.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
cthagreekgod
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

I am heavier than you , but I threw the 12" touring air shocks on and the ride is noticeably smoother, and you can adjust the stiffness with the air pressure. You can usually pick them up used for around $100 or so.

As long as you have access to something that will allow you to lift the rear end of the bike enough to get pressure of the shocks, changing them is as easy as undoing 2 bolts, 2 nuts, sliding the old shock off, and sliding the new one on.

Old 07-31-2014, 12:54 PM
Suede Blue Man
HDF Community Team

Received 734 Likes on 504 Posts

The easiest way for me was to have the bike on my jack and then a common lug nut wrench with the angled pry end between to pieces of 2"x6".
Slide that under the rear tire and after you unbolt the shocks you just use one foot to raise or lower the swing arm/wheel to line up bolts as needed.

Your weight won't matter as the force on the end of the jack does the work.

Attached Thumbnails How difficult is it to change rear shocks?-80-wheel_jack_bf3ba0efd2445f0ac8b72e8798b5b0f41f1afda6.jpg  
Old 07-31-2014, 01:06 PM
fskitch
Road Master
Received 313 Likes on 160 Posts

you don't need a jack--do one at a time unless maybe your trying to go with 14" or something taller than stock. I consider my riding fairly agressive and use the air shocks harley provides for street glides with 15psi-- 6' at 196 pounds-- ride solo

Old 07-31-2014, 01:07 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
I weigh about 160 fully loaded ... I always weigh myself sober, scared I'll fall off the scales otherwise! ( Sorry, I just couldn't pass up the opportunity ) ... Good luck with your project.
Yep I deserve that one, except I just spat my water through my nose!

Old 07-31-2014, 01:21 PM
californiafatbob2013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Changing shock's..........

Originally Posted by robbyville
Yep I deserve that one, except I just spat my water through my nose!
This is one of the simplest thing's to do, you can do 1 at a time or put a jack under the rear motor mount with the front of the bike secured.
It is about a 30 minute job.

I felt the same issue's with my stock Fatbob rear shock's, so I purchased the Progressive 970"s cost me 700.00 plus tax with free shipping from SpeedAddict's here in California Santa Clarita area I believe Ventura County.
Received them the next day.
You can adjust these as soft as you want and they are a 12 1/2" shock with about 2 3/4" of clear travel.

If you go that route call them up and ask Schad for his best price, that is what I did..........

How difficult is it to change rear shocks?-photo-3.jpg

How difficult is it to change rear shocks?-photo-8.jpg

Live Free = Ride Free..........

Last edited by californiafatbob2013; 07-31-2014 at 01:30 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:32 PM
Misbehaven
Elite HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Replace on shock at a time. Each shock has 2 bolts, remove them take old shock off. Put new shock in place replace the 2 bolts. Refer to service manual for proper torque specs. 15-20 min job.

Quick Reply: How difficult is it to change rear shocks?