Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine and Battery light on???

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 11:02 AM
luckycaribou
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine and Battery light on???

Took the bike out this morning and thought I could hear some clunking noises while in second gear. Got to where I was going and let it idle for a while in neutral trying to figure out if I was hearing things or if the noise was actually coming from the bike. Nothing....

Time to leave and and I get it into second and I hear 2 loud clunks and kind of a grinding/screeching sound. Was about to pull over but only had less than a mile to go. I also noticed both the engine and battery light on.

Get home and turn the bike off. Checked both the oil and transmission fluid and both are good. Run through the diagnostic codes and come up with just the low voltage PO562 which I have had since I got the bike. (Battery tests good)

Start the bike and listen while it idles....no noise and the lights are off. Decide to ride around the block and 20 yrd in and both lights come on again but no abnormal noises while riding.

Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 08-13-2014, 11:07 AM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 363 Likes on 361 Posts

Have you checked your stator?

Old 08-13-2014, 11:10 AM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Take off your derby cover and see if it has a burnt smell

Old 08-13-2014, 11:39 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 971 Likes on 734 Posts

Next step would be to pull the primary cover.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:46 PM
luckycaribou
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nevil
Next step would be to pull the primary cover.

Draining the primary fluid as we speak. Had a few metal shavings on the plug. Maybe enough to cover half the magnet. Will pull the cover off this afternoon. What exactly should I be looking for when it's off?

Old 08-13-2014, 02:36 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If there is a bad smell like something electrical is charred you may be looking at a busted stator. Usually the engine + battery light indicates your voltage reg. is fried. But these clunk noises suggest the stator has taken a dump which would cause the same symptom = low voltage. If the battery tests good it's time right now to test the VR but the first test is the stator in your case.
If the oil has no stink find the stator -VR - battery test sequence and either perform it or have it done before you smoke the battery and save yourself 200$

PS you did not have to drain the oil out of the primary for this test. If you get the bike standing level the oil will not leak out of the derby cover. All you had to do was remove the cover and take a sniff. But since you already have did you notice a bad smell from the oil itself as it was draining?

PPS shavings from the clutch is normal.

Last edited by maddghost; 08-13-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:13 PM
0lowrider1
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Next step ..get a service manual.best money spent on your bike ..

Old 08-13-2014, 05:08 PM
luckycaribou
Intermediate

Primary cover is off. No odd smells...maybe 2 copper wires off of the stator floating around in there. Been planning on doing the ipb and welding the bolts on the rotor so now is as good as time as ever I guess. Gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully get put back together next week. The noises I heard really worry me now seeing everything appears to be ok in there.

Old 08-13-2014, 08:22 PM
maddghost
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by luckycaribou
Primary cover is off. No odd smells...maybe 2 copper wires off of the stator floating around in there. Been planning on doing the ipb and welding the bolts on the rotor so now is as good as time as ever I guess. Gonna tear apart tonight and hopefully get put back together next week. The noises I heard really worry me now seeing everything appears to be ok in there.
If there are wires floating around they are all that got out of the rotor, you can pull the rotor out to a certain extent and see if the stator is all broken inside. forget welding do it right and get a new kit.

Old 08-14-2014, 09:38 AM
luckycaribou
Intermediate

Well write me down for another victim of the bolts coming out of the rotor. Now to get a parts list together to get her back up and running. Anyone that has gone through this have the part numbers handy, or a direction as to the best place to get these from? Thanks again.

Attached Thumbnails Engine and Battery light on???-20140814_092859.jpg