Dyna Glide Models Super Glide, Super Glide Sport, Super Glide Custom, Dyna Glide Convertible, Super Glide T-Sport, Dyna Glide Police, Dyna Switchback, Low Rider, Street Bob, Fat Bob and Wide Glide.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why remove forks for Progressive cartridges?

Old 09-16-2014, 07:00 PM
Travis G
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why remove forks for Progressive cartridges?

In reading the Progressive instructions, I'm not sure why you need to pull the forks? Their instructions basically start with removing the forks per the HD manual, and then got through the installation....but it doesn't look to me that anything in their steps couldn't be done with the forks still on the bike. Seems to me it may even be easier. You definitely have to remove the axle and wheel, but why remove the fender, fork brace, caliper, etc?

For those that have done it, what am I missing?

Old 09-17-2014, 07:18 AM
JayOhh
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Drain fluids?

So are you just looking at the instructions, or are you about to install the mono-tubes? I'm interested in a review

I know there was alot of complaints about blown seals and gas leaking when they first entered the market. I Guess PS fixed this issue, but I'm having a hard time finding resent reviews...

Old 09-17-2014, 07:34 AM
NELS
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 86 Posts

Put them in my '10 RK and have about 7 months riding with them and no issues.
I wouldn't put them in my '08 Dyna as I like the ride of the Dyna and only installed them in the king because I wanted it lowered one inch and a improved ride/handling which they provide.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:51 AM
DesertDyna
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Travis G
In reading the Progressive instructions, I'm not sure why you need to pull the forks? Their instructions basically start with removing the forks per the HD manual, and then got through the installation....but it doesn't look to me that anything in their steps couldn't be done with the forks still on the bike. Seems to me it may even be easier. You definitely have to remove the axle and wheel, but why remove the fender, fork brace, caliper, etc?

For those that have done it, what am I missing?
This is not just a spring change. You need to remove the forks to disassemble and remove all the internals. Thoroughly clean the inside. And just a tip...when they say "keep the fork slider compressed" do it. There is a small oil cup in the bottom that needs to stay in place, as the cartridge inserts into it. Just follow the directions to the letter and you will be fine. No shortcuts. Its not difficult, except for breaking loose that bottom bolt on each fork. If you dont have a set...get some long SAE Hex tip sockets.

As for a review....I went from a stock front end, and installed the monotubes a few months ago...and immediately went on a 750 mile ride. Just went another 350 this past weekend. Love the feel of the front end, and elimination of excessive brake dive. For those who have "dialed" in their front suspension with springs, intimidators, oil, etc... you wont see as much improvement...but the ride is definitely smoother.

Last edited by DesertDyna; 09-17-2014 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 12:33 PM
02fx4dude
Road Master
Received 251 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by JayOhh
I know there was alot of complaints about blown seals and gas leaking when they first entered the market. I Guess PS fixed this issue, but I'm having a hard time finding resent reviews...
I installed mine in 2011 (softail versions), no problems. As far as I know Progressive has lifetime warranty to original purchaser.

Old 09-18-2014, 10:26 AM
Travis G
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks DesertDyna for the response with your experience. Based on that, I'll wait until a few days of crappy riding weather comes through before I do the install.