Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Possible Security issue preventing bike from starting?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
vanceandharley
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible Security issue preventing bike from starting?

Hey guys, brand new here so hello and nice to join! I have a 2009 nightster that has been flawless since I bought it up until now. Randomly this winter when I put the key in the ignition and turned it to the on position the security light comes on as usual but then it will flash along with my left and right turn signals. Now with the turn signals they do not flash at the same time like they would if the system was activating and shut off. They will alternate and flash one after another, front and rear, left side then right. When this goes on it completely shuts out my starter and doesnt even try to turn over. If I wait about a minute it all stops but still keeps me from starting the bike. Curious if the cold weather has caused it since it started when it got colder out maybe? I was able to ride it one time after it happened a month ago or so. Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:13 PM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Not that familiar with your model, but if you have a FOB those are signs the batteries in your FOB need to be replaced.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:01 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry Davis
Not that familiar with your model, but if you have a FOB those are signs the batteries in your FOB need to be replaced.
I agree with Larry. Did you try entering the override code with your turn signal buttons?

If you aren't familiar with the override code/turn signal buttons, do a search because there are several(many) threads on the subject.

Ron

Old 01-18-2015, 06:41 AM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Keep your cell phone away from your fob also. It interrupts the signal.

Old 01-18-2015, 10:12 AM
vanceandharley
Stage III

I appreciate all the help. When I saw FOB a light bulb in my head went off and I went and found my spare key and FOB. Turned it on and everything worked as it should and started right up. Does this mean (as it was said before) that it's more than likely just the batteries in the FOB I was using?

Old 01-18-2015, 10:42 AM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by vanceandharley
I appreciate all the help. When I saw FOB a light bulb in my head went off and I went and found my spare key and FOB. Turned it on and everything worked as it should and started right up. Does this mean (as it was said before) that it's more than likely just the batteries in the FOB I was using?

Probably, but you should take this as motivation to learn how to start your scooter if the FOB is lost, stops working, or the FOB battery dies when you are out somewhere and you NEED to get it started and your spare FOB isn't handy.

Last edited by rjg883c; 01-18-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:48 PM
vanceandharley
Stage III

Originally Posted by rjg883c
Probably, but you should take this as motivation to learn how to start your scooter if the FOB is lost, stops working, or the FOB battery dies when you are out somewhere and you NEED to get it started and your spare FOB isn't handy.
Yes, I will definitely take the time as I have been researching and reading other threads on how to override the system and sure enough one day I will be 40 minutes from home and it will happen again. Thanks again for the help everyone!