Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Red key light

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 04:30 PM
Gustoking77
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Red key light

I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic...every once in awhile I hit the run button and a red key light shows up on my gauges and the bike won't start. There is no security system. ..so I know it's not the key fob! Also when this is happening my blinkers do NOT work. When bike does start, everything runs fine. ..Harley couldn't figure it out because bike started the whole time it was there and they "can't figure it out if they can't duplicate the problem" I NEED HELP!

Old 06-14-2015, 11:49 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by Gustoking77
I have a 2004 Electra Glide Classic...every once in awhile I hit the run button and a red key light shows up on my gauges and the bike won't start. There is no security system. ..so I know it's not the key fob! Also when this is happening my blinkers do NOT work. When bike does start, everything runs fine. ..Harley couldn't figure it out because bike started the whole time it was there and they "can't figure it out if they can't duplicate the problem" I NEED HELP!
If no one can figure it out, and you believe there are no wiring issues, you might be better ahead just replacing the TSM. Either that or wait until you are truly stuck.

Also, see if turning the handlebars lock to lock produces any symptoms.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 PM
Gustoking77
Stage III

Originally Posted by Ed Ramberger
If no one can figure it out, and you believe there are no wiring issues, you might be better ahead just replacing the TSM. Either that or wait until you are truly stuck.

Also, see if turning the handlebars lock to lock produces any symptoms.
Thank you ed. ..I am going to try that. ..no symptoms when turning the ignition in different positions. ...I need to start somewhere because Harley sent me home!

Old 06-17-2015, 03:30 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The red security key indicates the status of a system with security but it also doubles as an indicator of an error code. You need to check the code when the light is on to find out what it is. If the light goes out it means the error code has cleared.

Old 06-21-2015, 09:29 PM
Gustoking77
Stage III

Originally Posted by enodrano
The red security key indicates the status of a system with security but it also doubles as an indicator of an error code. You need to check the code when the light is on to find out what it is. If the light goes out it means the error code has cleared.
That's the issue. ..every time my bike is there, they can't get it to duplicate the problem. ..it starts every time while there...I wish it would happen while in their possession! I'm thinking it might be the tsm