Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Broken cruise switch = won't start?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Daerimin
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken cruise switch = won't start?

Greetings all,

So to begin, this is my first post here. I apologize if I unwittingly fail to comply with any local custom or protocols.

I have a 2007 Ultra Classic. I purchased some chrome switch housings and chrome replacement switch caps. I did the work very carefully, and was at the 99% mark when it .. hit the fan. As the very last step of the install, I took the new chrome cruise control switch cap and gently pressed it onto the post - but the switch post didn't come back out. It still moves side-to-side, but when pressing in, the travel distance is only a millimeter or two. Despite a few gentle tugs with a pair of pliers, it remains stuck. Also, and what's worse, now the bike won't start. I tried turning off the cruise control power switch on the dash, but no matter. The fuel pump doesn't "initialize", despite the stop/run switch being on, and of course, no start. All the other switches feel and sound (the stop/run clicks) normal, and the audio switch on the right works (hope this info is helpful..).

Can this simple issue cause these symptoms, or did I perhaps break something else despite being super careful? Everything was fine before I did the right side (I rode it after doing just the left). And lastly, can I replace JUST the one stuck switch, or am I looking at replacing the entire world of wiring on that side?

Thanks, all.