Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Wont turn over

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 12:27 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member
Received 2,791 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Default Wont turn over

07 EG........changed out rear belt..(had to remove starter for that)..still got the primary off, wanted to check on starter engagement......kill switch in ON position......all cables seem to be tight and connected well.....not even getting a click on the relay, changed out relay with brake relay, still nothing........relays appear to be good on ohm meter test........all other electrical stuff works fine.........bike in neutral.....with ignition on, i have 12 volts at starter post, i also have 11.82 volts at solenoid wire...( not sure if thats right...)

pressing START button results in NOTHING!

Anyone got any thoughts on what it might be?

Thanks
M

Old 10-09-2015, 03:18 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 72 Posts

OK all seem connected but, something isn't. You need power and a good ground. I assume the battery cable is tight to the battery and the solenoid on the other end..

If all else fails you can remove the end of the solenoid and manually push the plunger in to confirm the starter will engage and advance the starter drive to the clutch hub ring. If you try that and it doesn't reach, the drive extension between the starter and the back of the drive is in backwards.

If it works then now you know the problem is not in the way you installed the inner primary, starter and intermediate shaft between the starter and drive.

The problem then must be somewhere between the starter solenoid and the push button so maybe the starter relay. I can't think of anything you may have removed or disconnected to change the belt.

Old 10-09-2015, 03:30 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

I think a big question might be is that the green wire to the solenoid is showing 12v when i turn on the key.......isn't that only supposed to show 12v when start button is pushed?
(I got a gremlin bell but it might be worn out...)

Old 10-09-2015, 03:30 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

do the same thing this manual plunger would do to engage starter. If it doesn't work the problem is in the way you installed the starter. If it does the problem is upstream in the switch, relay, or wiring

Attached Thumbnails Wont turn over-solenoid-plunger.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 03:32 PM
Scrmnvtwins
Stellar HDF Member

This may not apply your year and model but can get you looking in the right areas for a bad connection

Attached Thumbnails Wont turn over-modifiedstarterrelaysetup.jpg  
Old 10-09-2015, 04:27 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Originally Posted by MURPHCC1
I think a big question might be is that the green wire to the solenoid is showing 12v when i turn on the key.......isn't that only supposed to show 12v when start button is pushed?
Yes, the green wire should only have power when the start button is pressed.

Are you reading the voltage on the green wire while the wire is disconnected? If so you will not get an accurate reading. The wire should be connected to the terminal on the solenoid, then press the start button and read voltage.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:14 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

yes reading voltage with green wire OFF ....shows 12v......thought it was supposed to be 0 and when the start button pressed sends 12v to the solenoid...

AND....there is NO clicking from relay...problem with that?

Gonna take out starter tomorrow and bench test it.........go from there.......

Old 10-09-2015, 06:01 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

Last edited by MURPHCC1; 10-09-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 06:21 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,497 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Yes, it should not read any voltage unless the starter button is pressed.

It could be a stuck starter relay, or a stuck start switch causing the wire to be powered all the time.

Connect the green wire to the starter solenoid, then check the voltage while the start button is pressed.

Looks like two issues, one is the constant power to the green wire, the other is the no crank.

Have you had the battery tested?

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 10-09-2015 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-09-2015, 07:27 PM
MURPHCC1
Club Member

Battery is two years old......on a tender.........haven't had it load tested yet....charging system good...just replaced the starter relay.......still nothing.......gonna see what the starter bench test does tomorrow and go from there.......eliminate the starter and work back......

Quick Reply: Wont turn over