Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Starter Draw

Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Starter Draw

Ok I'll be first to admit I'm a bit confused and frustrated which I guess goes hand in hand.
I thought I had finally decided on a starter for my 2002 harley dyna superglide with 120ci motor, had decided on a 1.8kw because I thought bigger was better and the Terry components site said the same thing then I come across some information from a knowledgeable sorce stating that the bigger the kw starter the more draw on the battery and this is suppose to be bad right? I don't know.

Terry components site list each starter and the size of motor there suppose to be made to turn over. Low and behold everything on that site leads one to think that bigger is better and a bit more research told me better cables for less resistance for power for the starter to crank and the less the smaller starter with its gear reduction is suppose to crank like crazy, those two things and a descent battery is suppose to do the job.
Now I'm not trying to put down these starters at all as they are a well respected company but at the same time as I said I'm quite confused.

Also I was curious if anyone knows is there a differnce between a 1.4kw terry components starter and a All ***** 1.4kw starter?
I have read where All ***** 1.4kw starter is suppose to be used for a 120ci.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:05 PM
chromelens
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My experience with performance starters leads to Tech Cycle. I have had the best luck with their high output starters with big inch motors. A good starter combined with high performance cables and the key is a high CCA battery. Drag make one but if you really want the best Anti-Gravity makes a small case high CCA battery that out performs most on the market. Also a properly tuned bike and compression releases will help with the starter last longer.

Old 11-19-2015, 04:50 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by chromelens
My experience with performance starters leads to Tech Cycle. I have had the best luck with their high output starters with big inch motors. A good starter combined with high performance cables and the key is a high CCA battery. Drag make one but if you really want the best Anti-Gravity makes a small case high CCA battery that out performs most on the market. Also a properly tuned bike and compression releases will help with the starter last longer.
I am keeping the 720 AG in mind.