Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Security System Question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 PM
Chris419
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Security System Question?

Hi All, First off this is my first Harley so these might be basic questions. I just got a 2012 Electra Glide Ultra Limited. When I park the bike, my understanding is the system will arm itself and flash the turn signals twice. My signals don't flash. Also when I lock the ignition with the key, I can still turn it from off to ignition. Is this normal? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-27-2016, 05:17 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Yes your security should arm itself automatically after shutting off ignition. Two flashes. If ignition is locked it should not turn. When it's locked and you turn it do you have power?

Old 07-27-2016, 05:58 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris419
... when I lock the ignition with the key, I can still turn it from off to ignition. Is this normal? ...
You should not be able to lock it with the key unless it is in the Fork Lock position (turned all the way to the left), and then only after pushing down on the lock.

Then the switch should not be able to be placed in any other position until it is unlocked with the key.
When you unlock it, the lock should pop back up, then you can turn it to off, etc.

The switch and/or lock may be damaged.

Did you buy this from a dealer?

Old 07-27-2016, 08:30 PM
Chris419
6th Gear

Thanks for the replies. When I turn the key to lock position, I can still turn to the ignition position and I do still have power. I bought it from a used dealer, not an HD dealer. And when I turn the bike off, I get no flashes from the system arming itself.

Old 07-27-2016, 10:11 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master
Arrow

I hate to be a wet blanket, but because I am paranoid the first thing I thought when I read your post was it was either a stolen bike or a stolen recovery (because of the broken switch and non-functioning security system).
If you got it from a used car dealer, possibly a stolen recovery. Did you have any trouble registering it? Did you get the Fobs with it?

The switch will have to be pulled apart, my best advice is first, get the service manual!
Then, if you are not accustom to doing your own work, bring it to a dealer to have them check the:
IGNITION SWITCH HOUSING part # 71572-06 $61.99
IGNITION SWITCH **** part # 71532-03 $111.49

You should also check your
SECURITY SYSTEM MODULE part # 68924-07 $273.99

Make sure the wires are intact and it is plugged in.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:38 PM
Chris419
6th Gear

I had no trouble registering at all. Got 2 FOBS and keys.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:40 PM
Chris419
6th Gear

Also it wasn'the a car dealer. It was a bike dealer. I've bought bikes there before and never had any problems.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:58 AM
IKnowNot
Road Master

Not saying you would, even if it were a stolen/recovery, but again, I am paranoid. It was just the first thing that came to mind with the symptoms.

It is quite possible the previous owner did not like the security system (there are threads here about disabling it) and the two problems are unrelated.

I don’t know how good you are at wrenching bikes.

If you want to tackle it yourself there are threads on removing the key switch ( and video links ) to inspect at least that part, even videos on making your own alignment tool to put it back together ( choices: just try and use a screw driver, make your own tool out of junk you have laying around, or pay $60 to $130 dollars for it ) (this is very, very easy, but check out the videos first)

If you need to replace the actual switch you will need an ignition switch connector removal tool (Another $120 tool that can be made from an 18 inch welding rod or something similar )

( Try this thread https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...uctions-2.html )

But you really should get the service manual. And since you are new to Harley, get used to their frequent use of the T27, that is usually not included in most torx bit sets.

Last edited by IKnowNot; 07-28-2016 at 02:16 PM. Reason: added link
Old 07-28-2016, 05:45 PM
Chris419
6th Gear

I've figured out that my FOBs don't need to be anywhere near my bike, and it will still start. The actual "key" can be in the off position and the FOB nowhere around, and I can still turn the ignition switch to "ignition" and bike will start. What now????? Dealer or new ignition switch? Everytime, the red key light goes out on the speedo like it reads the FOB.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:27 PM
IKnowNot
Road Master

I was hoping someone else would chime in on this.

You have two problems, the key switch and the security system.

Apparently anyone can start the bike at any time, with or without the key, with or without the fob.

Either bring it to the dealer or, at least start the diagnosis yourself. You may wind up bringing to the dealer anyway.

If you decide to try, I would start with the key switch. As said, many disable the alarm system, but they never disable the key lock. And (doubtfully but you never know) solving the key switch problem may solve the alarm problem.

Again, you have not said how handy you are. Did you watch the video in the link to get an idea how they should work and how to take the switch apart and put it back together? Do you think you could get that far? Compare the key lock component to the one in the video. Does it look the same or is something broken off? (posting pics here of it someone may be able to tell)

With the lock off, look down into the switch. Anything look broken or out of place?
Is it possible that someone miss assembled the switch (put it back together with the tangs not aligned?)

Replacing the switch isn't hard, but time consuming, and a lot more involved then removing the lock. Again, You really should have a service manual.

Quick Reply: Security System Question?