Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Bad voltage regulator

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 05:16 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts
Default Bad voltage regulator

I posted this over on the Generally Chat forum due to I was looking for opinions on what manufacture I should go to for a new regulator.
I thought that perhaps I'd post this on this forum as well since the issue is related to electrical.

2009 Heritage.

My voltage gauge which typically stays right at 14vdc suddenly jumped to 16vdc (max on the gauge) and then dropped down to 12vdc.
I also got both the battery and check engine lights, however they extinguished after a brief period.

Once the bike was parked for a while (I'm guessing cooling off) everything seemed back to normal for about 10-15 minutes in operation then the voltage fluctuation started again along with the battery and check engine lights.

I got ECM codes P0562 (under voltage), P0563 (over voltage) and Speedometer codes P1006 and P1007 (not sure what those relate too, perhaps the battery and check lights).

I checked the voltage at the battery and it seemed normal at around 12.8vdc with everything off, 9.8vdc while starting, and 13.96vdc at idle.
I could never get it to fail while being able to test the voltage with my multi-meter.

I checked the 3 outputs of the stator and all three were open to ground which apparently means it's reading good.

My gut was telling me that my problem was a flaky stator but since I wasn't prepared to tear into the engine to get to the stator I decided to order a new voltage regulator.

From my research Cycle Electric regulators seem to have really good reviews and I found one on e-Bay for $129.00 so I pulled the trigger.

I got the new regulator in today and immediately installed it.
I went on a 50 mile city/hwy ride and my voltage stayed right at 14vdc and never wavered so apparently my problem was in fact the voltage regulator.

Also I swear it seems I've got more power but I don't see how a voltage regulator would have an effect on power.

Anyway, hopefully my problem is fixed.

Last edited by Bluraven; 09-06-2016 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-09-2016, 07:04 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Electrical problems can cause running issues but Cycle Electric does something very well that Harley does not do. A Harley regulator basically runs the charging system full tilt all the time and dumps the unneeded current to ground - changes it to heat at the regulator. Cycle electric only charges what is necessary - this is more efficient, runs cooler and uses less power and prolongs component life.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:54 PM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Thanks,
A month later and the bike is running great.

My Cycle Electric install was the fix.

Old 10-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Ed Ramberger
Stellar HDF Member
Received 887 Likes on 621 Posts

Awesome!

Old 10-06-2016, 07:53 PM
Zerk
Banned
Received 827 Likes on 655 Posts

I doubt you have more power, if you mean engine. But from what your wrote about votlage levels, it does sound like you had a bad volt reg. They have been a weak spot for Harley, forever

I have a Cycle Electric, they are popular. There design sounds better. But I can't say if it really makes a difference or not.