Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Turn signal question

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 10:00 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation Turn signal question

hi gang,
I have a 2008 Harley Rocker C to start with.
I Bought THE EXTENSION turn signal CAPS,
Not so sure on the installation, as you tube has nothing, and only thing I dig up from harley is this link, but doesn't say in instructions for a 2008, yet drop down menu, and switches I have are the same? Thanks Harley!!!

So I sort of I see, looks as if I have to "jimmy" one end of cap up, and than other, to remove... but for my bike, is this on or with switch assembly Off bike?

Theres a spring, etc...

DO I NEED TO TAKE OUT SCREW INTO LOWER HOUSING TO REMOVE THE RIGHT SIDE TURN SIGNAL SWITCH, IF SO, WHATS THE PROCEDURE?
REMOVE THE SWITCH, THAN THE STOCK CAP, WHAT ABOUT SPRING? RE INSTALL SWITCH ITSELF, MINUS LARGER COVER,
AS I CANGT SEE GETTING IT INTO HOLE, AS IT A BIT LONGER,
THAN SNAPPING ON AFTER SWITCH IS SECURE AND BRACKET SCREWED DOWN?
OR CHANGE CAP WITH SWITCH ASSEMBLY AND METAL BRACKET IN HAND?
IF SO, HOW DO YOU "FINESS" LONGER SWITCH CAP INTO HOLE PROPERLY?

SORRY FOR CAPS, older I get I cant see so great, lol...l not yelling./.....thanks in advance..

heres switches I have, chrome, but same crap...

https://www.harley-davidson.com/stor...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

I ride cold weather, etc, and I've had a hard time, at times,
engaging turn signals,
due to heavy gloves/knumb hand,lol, etc....

heres the instructions, again VAUGE, and doesn't mention MY bike, in instruction #1 or 2, thats my dilemma....

https://serviceinfo.harley-davidson....1?locale=en_US

thanks lots in advance, I tried on a old switch,
didnt seem like cap just comes right off
like they make it seem???

Old 06-19-2018, 10:12 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Here's how I read it, if your switch housing is cut out to the split in the housing cases and vertical rocker switches are connected to the turn signal switch I would say type 2 otherwise if it a normal Harley switch housing and separate vertical rocker switches then type 1. According to Ronnie's parts fiche the Rocker C uses type 1. Yes you do have to remove the screw to remove the turn signal switch assembly, you just lower the lower switxh case halve until you can get to the little Phillips screw, then remove the switch and on the outside bottom of the switch there is the pry spot to remove the cap. Be careful on the right side as your stop lamp switch is there and you need to wedge the brake lever a little to keep from breaking it when you reinstall the switch housings.

Last edited by Zanthamos; 06-19-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 10:22 PM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Here's how I read it, if your switch housing is cut out to the split in the housing cases and vertical rocker switches are connected to the turn signal switch I would say type 2 otherwise if it a normal Harley switch housing and separate vertical rocker switches then type 1. According to Ronnie's parts fiche the Rocker C uses type 1. Yes you do have to remove the screw to remove the turn signal switch assembly, you just lower the lower switxh case halve until you can get to the little Phillips screw, then remove the switch and on the outside bottom of the switch there is the pry spot to remove the cap. Be careful on the right side as your stop lamp switch is there and you need to wedge the brake lever a little to keep from breaking it when you reinstall the switch housings.

thanks, I already installed new brake button, and a new chrome switch,
as I broke old one, trying to install these nice elongated turn signal switch cover caps
looking for advise from anyone you has done, not being rude, just frustrated

this cost me plenty of $$ for one damm cap, other I had installed, this one had to be replaced, other reasons...

Old 06-19-2018, 10:31 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

It's all in the factory service manual, I would strongly suggest getting one if you don't already have one.torque specs for the screws are in there as well.

Old 06-19-2018, 10:38 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

This may help? https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...s-i-lucky.html

While no photos as Zanthamos pointed out we have Type I switch housings and be careful on the right-hand side with the brake light switch. Looks straightforward based on the instructions but note above the use of a hair dryer to warm the plastic before slipping it over the switch posts.

Old 06-25-2018, 12:06 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

I got it installed. thanks DS to the rescue again!