Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Tour Pak Marker Lights Fuse Blows

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 06:36 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser
Received 44 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Tour Pak Marker Lights Fuse Blows

I did a diag today 09 Road Glide with tour pak. Side marker lights have own harness followed it back to the fuse box to find out splices in with rear tail light harness but is connected to fuse box. One side of fuse to Blue wire at Tour Pak I have conduit. Whats happening on the other side of the fuse couldn't see anything. Is that power and where does it go. Thought of just tapping into tail light but would like to keep it factory. BTW disconnected all tail lights and fuse still blew, so it is not in the wiring to the tour pak. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
The odd thing is that I have tour pak spoiler light connected and when I press brake lever it works, so it ounds like the blue wire has a short. Again checking the blue wire with volt meter it doesn't.

Last edited by Road Gliderman; 08-08-2018 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:44 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser

Ok back again and a new day sheds new light. Checked Blue wire again from main harness and yes it is shorting. The part that baffles me is that the tail lights still work! Looking at wiring diag it looks like they are both on the same line. Anyway here is my question how do I find where it is shorting, I took the battery out and fuse panel off yesterday and could see anything, I guess because I don't know what I am looking for. Located wire going into the back which was yellow and red did't see Blue wire. Again any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-09-2018, 01:36 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Disconnect the tour pack, then see if the short is still there, remember to remove the bulb before looking for a short though, as it will always short to ground through the bulb.

Old 08-10-2018, 05:52 AM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser

Yes I did and the short is somewhere between the fuse box and where ever the it ends up. I think this line goes right up to the front signal lights, so the next step would be to trace it and see if I can't find it.

Old 08-13-2018, 07:30 PM
Road Gliderman
Cruiser

Fixed it!!! Figured that the short had to be somewhere the wire would be right up against metal because gigling the wire made no difference. So I took out my right turn signal and there it was right up against the fairing support. Well another job done what's next?

The following users liked this post:
Vernal (08-14-2018)