Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

FXD 2002 Engine dies, maybe Run/Off-switch.

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2018, 04:09 AM
Scooba
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default FXD 2002 Engine dies, maybe Run/Off-switch.

Hi!

I just got an 2002 FXD Super Glide that shuts off when I ride, I can't see any pattern it seems to shut off completely random. When it shuts off I still got power in the electrical system, the speedometer and turn signal still works (all I've manage to check because it has shut off in hectic traffic). So it's just the engine that shuts off, and when it shuts off I flip the Run/Off-switch and the engine starts up again. Im kinda green when it comes to the electrical and my knowledge is limited so I don't really know where or what to look for.

Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be or know where I should look for information?

P.S sorry for any weird spelling, english is not my native language.

Old 09-14-2018, 08:41 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

Have you just tried to just hit the start switch when it shuts off? I would start looking at the ignition switch, these are prone to go bad (just cleaning the internal contacts may fix it) but the run/stop may be starting to go bad. . . if you try to just hit start without moving the run-start switch you can isolate the run/stop switch out of the equasion.

Old 09-14-2018, 01:58 PM
Scooba
Stage II

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
Have you just tried to just hit the start switch when it shuts off? I would start looking at the ignition switch, these are prone to go bad (just cleaning the internal contacts may fix it) but the run/stop may be starting to go bad. . . if you try to just hit start without moving the run-start switch you can isolate the run/stop switch out of the equasion.
Thanks for the help! After it shuts off and hit the start switch I can hear the starter trying to start the engine but fail to start it until I switch the run/off-switch. So I guess it's not the run/off-switch because if it was a short in the run/off-switch the starter wouldn't even activate when I hit the start-switch?
Im gonna take a look at the ignition tomorrow, will let you know how it goes.

Originally Posted by Zanthamos
I've checked the ignition switch and my newbie eyes can't see any problem. You say "cleaning the internal contacts", do you mean inside the switch because I can't see a way to open up the switch?
When I hit start without moving the run/off-switch the starter tries to start the engine, yesterday I stopped the bike and waited a bit twisted the throttle two times (don't even know if that do anything) and the bike started in a kinda sluggish way. So I guess it's not an electrical problem?
But everytime the bike shuts off and I flip the run/off-switch it starts immediately, it's like the run/off-switch reset something.
Everything is so confusing and I can't recreate the problems so it's really hard troubleshoot. I need to ride the bike (no complaints there ) to look for the problem, sometimes I can ride for five minutes and sometimes five days until the problem occurs.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 09-21-2018 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Multiple posts
Old 10-05-2018, 11:48 AM
Bcosta
Novice
Default Have you solved this yet?

My 2001 fatboy doin same thing. Pullin my hair out tryn to find prob. Ive switched some parts with used and new still same thing

Old 10-05-2018, 04:03 PM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

On the fxd the ignition switch isn't able to be disassembled as it is in the Softail, check the connections on the ignition switch and the continuity of the connections with the switch in the different positions, follow the service manual wire diagrams to tell what is supposed to be connected with the switch in each position. For softails if you remove the switch there is a snap ring on the bottom, be aware of the spring loaded contacts, remove the snap ring and remove the bottom plate, clean the contacts and use dielectric grease during reassembly.