Electrical/Lighting/Alarm Having electrical problems? Discussion on everything electrical and lighting systems.

Tail Light wiring help request

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2019, 04:03 PM
kgrammer
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No worries whatsoever. Share away!

I agree that those blocks aren't the best, but they are readily available. I'm working on sourcing the connector so I can make a properly connected pigtail but they are hard to find.

Anyway, I'm glad I was able to help.

Old 01-31-2019, 07:59 PM
username already exists
Cruiser
Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

I've used the splicing devices before. They're very handy, easy to use and usually work well. Its peace of mind for those hesitant to cut into the harness as well. My primary issue with them in this case (my own that is) is simply the limited space available. But hey, they work!

Old 02-02-2019, 12:20 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

Returning to the "you're making this way harder than necessary" thought, it became apparent that in keeping with H-D's plug'n play designs for switching parts to create different "models" from the same basic bikes, I was STILL over thinking this modification. Very (V-E-R-Y) simply, it finally occurred to me why there are three wires going into the tag light socket and only two coming out (for the FXBB). Returning to the FSM and clearing some of the fog in my brain as I concentrated on finding applications specific to my particular delima, it hit me like a skillet that the answer is extremely simple and I've been staring right at it for a week.

Take another look at that photo above from Cadence Motorsports. Look specifically at that big black connector in the center. THAT is the tag light connector. There are TWO black wires running out of it. Your new bike will have a black cloth sheathing covering them but there are THREE wires going in. Black, Blue, Blue w/red stripe. Ground / Run / Brake. While I've been assuming I need to splice into these three wires (once I finally found the be w/r wire) in fact, all I need is a three pin connector! If you look inside the main harness side of this coupling it already HAS three pins! It is the tag light wire that only has two pins! You don't have to splice any wires. Just add a pin to the plug and a wire to the rear half for brake light function. H-D designed it that way!!! ARGH!

This coupling is DESIGNED specifically for what I'm trying to create! It is merely USED for the modified purpose of the side mount lights in this modified two-pin configuration. If you're up to that sort of thing, you can add a third pin & wire and you're good to go for pennies. If you prefer, a new 3-pin plug is $5.99 in the parts catalog! Part #69201406
A true case of the "K-I-S-S" principle in actual practice!

Old 02-02-2019, 07:53 PM
kgrammer
Banned

Good to know. I'll buy one and see how it works out.

Thanks for the information.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

I finished the job today. The process is posted in a new thread here . Anxious to get this over with, I went with your method of splicing into the blue w/red stripe wire ahead of the tag light coupling. THANKS!!! for you help in figuring that out.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:15 PM
kgrammer
Banned

Yeah, it took a while to put all the pieces together when I did my first one, which is why I decided to document it. It wasn't obvious since that blue w/red wire didn't have a center wire on the other side of the connector.

Glad we were able to help.

Old 02-02-2019, 08:24 PM
username already exists
Cruiser

Originally Posted by kgrammer
Glad we were able to help.
I will definitely remember your help next time I'm hunting parts!