Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Baisley heavy oil pump spring or axtells bypass?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Jimmy_kick
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baisley heavy oil pump spring or axtells bypass?

I'm reading that some guys are having oil come out the air filter with the spring because the oil pressure is to high. Do you think the Axtells bypass is better? I just ordered the Baisley spring but I am concerned about this leaking oil issue and would hate to have to pull apart the camchest after my cam upgrade to remove it, and then have to put in the Axtell bypass. 06 Dyna Street Bob I have. Maybe I should just buy the Axtell bypass and put that in instead? Any opinions on this would be helpful.

Last edited by Jimmy_kick; 11-03-2014 at 09:31 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 09:49 PM
HD Bobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 201 Likes on 154 Posts

I and few others I know got the LMR-2 Baisley spring and no problems. I also got their plunger, which I would recommend getting as well if you're doing the spring.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/pr...s-plunger.html

Old 11-03-2014, 11:22 PM
Jimmy_kick
Intermediate

Originally Posted by HD Bobber
I and few others I know got the LMR-2 Baisley spring and no problems. I also got their plunger, which I would recommend getting as well if you're doing the spring.

http://www.zippersperformance.com/pr...s-plunger.html
Thanks for the info I'll order that now! Nice looking street bob you have.

Old 11-04-2014, 01:52 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,075 Likes on 1,526 Posts

Originally Posted by Jimmy_kick
I'm reading that some guys are having oil come out the air filter with the spring because the oil pressure is to high. Do you think the Axtells bypass is better? I just ordered the Baisley spring but I am concerned about this leaking oil issue and would hate to have to pull apart the camchest after my cam upgrade to remove it, and then have to put in the Axtell bypass. 06 Dyna Street Bob I have. Maybe I should just buy the Axtell bypass and put that in instead? Any opinions on this would be helpful.
The Axtell Bypass and the Baisley spring serve two completely different purposes. While both will increase low rpm oil pressure the Axtell valve eliminates the "looping" of oil from the high feed side to the low feed side which can cause the oil to aerate. Aerated oil can cause lifter ticking and result in a oil pressure drop that can cause the piston oilers to shut down. The Axtell valve directs the bypassed oil into the cam chest to be returned to the oil tank eliminating the "loop". It is a good piece of hardware.

However, to your point. Oil is not forced out of the air filter due to high oil pressure. Oil coming out of the air filter usually indicates something gone wrong with the crankcase ventilating system. If you are not experiencing this yet, don't worry about fixing it; nothing to fix. Having said that, it certainly won't hurt to install the Axtell valve; much better functionality than the Baisley spring. JMHO.

Last edited by djl; 11-06-2014 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 11:14 PM
Jimmy_kick
Intermediate
Default Thanks for the info djl!

[QUOTE=djl;13387584]
Originally Posted by Jimmy_kick

The Axtell Bypass and the Baisley spring serve two completely different purposes. While both will increase low rpm oil pressure the Axtell valve eliminates the "looping" of oil from the high feed side to the low feed side which can cause the oil to aerate. Aerated oil can cause lifter ticking and result in a oil pressure drop that can cause the piston oilers to shut down. The Axtell valve directs the bypassed oil into the cam chest to be returned to the oil tank eliminating the "loop". It is a good piece of hardware.

However, to your point. Oil is not forced out of the air filter due to high oil pressure. Oil coming out of the air filter usually indicates something gone wrong with the crankcase ventilating system. If you are not experiencing this yet, don't worry about fixing it; nothing to fix. Having said that, it certainly won't hurt to install the Axtell valve; much better functionality than the Baisley spring. JMHO.
I already ordered the spring and the Baisley plunger, so hopefully they work good. Thanks for the info on the axtells bypass though if I have any issues I'll go that route.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:22 PM
GibT
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I talked to Zippers about this last Monday. He said the Axtell bypass is the way to go. It uses its own needle and seat.

Old 11-09-2014, 06:15 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 185 Posts

Axtell is the way to go. Wanted to get when I installed my cams but forgot till I took can chest apart and said screw it. Don't believe it is an absolute must but is for sure and improvement. More often than not the oil from the breather is due to too high oil level. Best to keep level at 1/2 mark.