Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

High compression engine failure

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 11:31 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts
Default High compression engine failure

A few years ago, I spun a wrist pin bushing necessitating a crankshaft rebuild on my 2008 FLHTC. While in there I changed cams to a set of Woods TW 6-6. These cams need more compression so I had about 0.040" removed from the heads and installed a 0.030" Cometic head gasket. I had figured this to be around 10.5:1 static compression ratio and about 9.8:1 corrected compression ratio. Maybe I am way off I don't know. Anyhow recently my crank pin failed and I had to send my crank back to Darkhorse for another rebuild. Darkhorse feels as if the failure is consistent with failures seen in high horsepower, high compression ratio race engines. I didn't even need compression releases. My engine turns over fine even when hot. My question to all of you is do you think this is truly the reason my crank pin failed? Does everyone with high compression ratio need compression releases? I know lots of you guys have compression releases. Have any of you had crankshaft failures with these high compression engines? Any thoughts?
I am going to reassemble with stock head gaskets to detune it a bit. Hope this helps.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:07 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

Not to contradict the good folks at Darkhorse, but that statement would be in regards to excessive pressure being generated on the crank bearing ie, "high compression".
Thinking along those lines, how would a 124" at 11.2 cr with a Wood 9F ever make it down the road?
The pressure if you will, is being transmitted to an actual bearing consisting of cages, hardened rods(now)a case hardened crankpin, and fully hardened rod rollers.........odd.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:02 PM
dynawg1
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everything Scott said plus: I would dare say that the vast majority of cranks done by DarkHorse end up in "high compression" motors, yet very few fail. Even 99-02 stock HD factory crankshafts hold up in some very hot motors. That response from them is lacking. Might want to consider an S&S crank this go round...

Old 04-29-2015, 02:10 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
A few years ago, I spun a wrist pin bushing necessitating a crankshaft rebuild on my 2008 FLHTC. While in there I changed cams to a set of Woods TW 6-6. These cams need more compression so I had about 0.040" removed from the heads and installed a 0.030" Cometic head gasket. I had figured this to be around 10.5:1 static compression ratio and about 9.8:1 corrected compression ratio. Maybe I am way off I don't know. Anyhow recently my crank pin failed and I had to send my crank back to Darkhorse for another rebuild. Darkhorse feels as if the failure is consistent with failures seen in high horsepower, high compression ratio race engines. I didn't even need compression releases. My engine turns over fine even when hot. My question to all of you is do you think this is truly the reason my crank pin failed? Does everyone with high compression ratio need compression releases? I know lots of you guys have compression releases. Have any of you had crankshaft failures with these high compression engines? Any thoughts?
I am going to reassemble with stock head gaskets to detune it a bit. Hope this helps.
10:5 to 1 is far from a high compression engine. I would start looking at the oiling system if your having repeat crank pin failures.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:19 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Thanks. I didn't think I was too high in compression. He said the crank pin failed at TDC. They found the HD part failed so they charged me full price on a crank rebuild. It is already done and on its way back to me. I don't know what to do. Do you suppose I should detune with the stock head gasket or try it again as I had it? Wouldn't I need compression releases if I was to go "too" high in compression?

Old 04-29-2015, 03:18 PM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

If you were generating "too much" compression, you would be 1), experiencing spark knock or dentonation so uncontrollably you would not to ride it and 2), it may not even want to start correctly.
Me thinks something else is at the root of this issue.
Scott

Old 04-29-2015, 04:32 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Thank you very much.

Old 04-30-2015, 10:59 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
A few years ago, I spun a wrist pin bushing necessitating a crankshaft rebuild on my 2008 FLHTC. While in there I changed cams to a set of Woods TW 6-6. These cams need more compression so I had about 0.040" removed from the heads and installed a 0.030" Cometic head gasket. I had figured this to be around 10.5:1 static compression ratio and about 9.8:1 corrected compression ratio. Maybe I am way off I don't know. Anyhow recently my crank pin failed and I had to send my crank back to Darkhorse for another rebuild. Darkhorse feels as if the failure is consistent with failures seen in high horsepower, high compression ratio race engines. I didn't even need compression releases. My engine turns over fine even when hot. My question to all of you is do you think this is truly the reason my crank pin failed? Does everyone with high compression ratio need compression releases? I know lots of you guys have compression releases. Have any of you had crankshaft failures with these high compression engines? Any thoughts? I am going to reassemble with stock head gaskets to detune it a bit. Hope this helps.
Who are you talking to at Darkhorse? Doesn't sound like the type of response I have gotten from my past interactions with them.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:34 PM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

I was talking to John. He was really concerned about my deck height. I kept telling him that it was stock down there. Is there something about stock setup in the piston and cylinder that is inconsistent that he would be asking me about that? The only thing about deck height that isn't stock is the fact that they use rods that are 0.003" longer than stock but he knows that. Anyhow, here is a picture of the crank pin. it is about 1/3 of the way around it and about 3 or 4 bearing rollers were also rough. The rough spot feels about 0.010" deep or so. I will take it to work and get the metallurgy guys to tell me a better story of what failed.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:56 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,808 Likes on 3,313 Posts

Very Interesting thread... Subscribed......keep us updated .... Thanx..

Quick Reply: High compression engine failure