Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

875-1 lifters

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2015, 08:37 AM
Garand36
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 875-1 lifters

ok, this has probably been discussed but I don't see it. I have a 2013 street glide woods 7-H cams. S&S 32tpi pushrods and comp v-thunder 875-1 lifters. I contacted the tech department to verify preload on these lifters. I was told .005 preload. Then I came across the v-thunder site and it states .416. Needless to say set at .005 sounded like the pushrods were going to fly out of the motor. Shut it down contacted comp and they are still stating the .005 actually became pretty hateful with me about it. The question is what are you guys running for preload on the v-thunder lifters with the travel limiters?

Old 09-08-2015, 08:54 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,048 Likes on 1,509 Posts

Originally Posted by Garand36
ok, this has probably been discussed but I don't see it. I have a 2013 street glide woods 7-H cams. S&S 32tpi pushrods and comp v-thunder 875-1 lifters. I contacted the tech department to verify preload on these lifters. I was told .005 preload. Then I came across the v-thunder site and it states .416. Needless to say set at .005 sounded like the pushrods were going to fly out of the motor. Shut it down contacted comp and they are still stating the .005 actually became pretty hateful with me about it. The question is what are you guys running for preload on the v-thunder lifters with the travel limiters?
You don't need travel limited lifters at that cam lift. Do yourself a favor and replace the 875s with a set of 850s and set preload at about .135". Lifter plunger travel is .200", so .416" is impossible.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:08 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,876 Likes on 3,343 Posts

Take djl's advice and get rid of the travel limiters, they are nothing bout problems and will not get you any more performance. Use regular hydraulic lifters and set preload to.140". Trust me I've tried they. You'll never and i mean never get your motor quiet.

Old 09-08-2015, 09:23 AM
Garand36
6th Gear

Sorry it was .0416 so just shy .042. Was thinking of going to the 850 lifters. Just would be nice to get these setup and get my motor running in the mean time. I know on a regular travel lifter your goal is around half travel. Is that the same on these? I just don't want to set to deep and hang a valve or something dumb.

Last edited by Garand36; 09-08-2015 at 09:32 AM.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:46 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,876 Likes on 3,343 Posts

Don't you see? That's just it. The max preload you will get is .046-.050 and once the motor gets hot it is very like that it will expand more than the preload especially if you are running a higher compression motor. Therefore more noise,

Old 09-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Garand36
6th Gear

...well I appreciate the comments. But in case you are confused from the original post...I never asked about how noisy the valve train would be. I guess I should have worded differently. I have done multiple sets of cams in twin cam and Evo motors. This is the first time doing a cam swap and using travel limited lifters. On the normal hydraulic lifters there is about .200 of travel. So with these lifters having a travel limiter...what is the travel they have? If it is now cut to .100 then that tells me about how far I can't set the lifters. That's why I asked the preload of the lifters...not how noisy they will be. By all means you are probably correct and they will be noisy and I will replace them. But at this moment they are in the bike. I'm trying to set these. So again original question...what is the preload on the v-thunder 875-1 lifter

Old 09-08-2015, 12:56 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

...well I appreciate the comments. But in case you are confused from the original post...I never asked about how noisy the valve train would be. I guess I should have worded differently. I have done multiple sets of cams in twin cam and Evo motors. This is the first time doing a cam swap and using travel limited lifters. On the normal hydraulic lifters there is about .200 of travel. So with these lifters having a travel limiter...what is the travel they have? If it is now cut to .100 then that tells me about how far I can't set the lifters. That's why I asked the preload of the lifters...not how noisy they will be. By all means you are probably correct and they will be noisy and I will replace them. But at this moment they are in the bike. I'm trying to set these. So again original question...what is the preload on the v-thunder 875-1 lifter
Travel limited lifters have a travel limiter installed which limits the lifter plunger travel, so a travel limited lifter does not have .200" of travel. The travel of a TL lifter is what is left after the limiter has been installed and, in most TL lifters, that travel is usually about .100" lift but will vary from lifter to lifter. The more travel a lifter has, the more it can pump up at high rpms and push the valve deeper into the chamber which is why TL limited lifters are usually used in motors that consistently see high rpms or high compression motors that have hot start issues.

If I were you, I would replace the 875s with 850s, even if it means letting the bike sit for a spell. If you are in a hurry, put the OEM lifters back in and ride until you get the 850s.

If you insist on running the TL lifters, you do so at your own risk. Most of the guys I know that run TL limited lifters adjust by bottoming out the plunger to the point of opening the valve and then backing off one turn. If the lifters are full of oil and you use this method, make sure you let the lifter bleed down. That means that just because the valve opens doesn't mean the plunger has bottomed out. Wait a few minutes to watch the valve as it may close as the lifter bleeds down.

Old 09-08-2015, 01:57 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 on what djl said. When I ran S&S TL lifters, this is how I adjusted them. Keep in mind, it could take a good, long time for the lifters to bleed down during the adjustment period. Also remember: DO NOT rotate the motor while the lifter is bleeding down, becausr that valve is open. It may collide with the other valve in the cylinder or the piston if the motor is turned while it's open when it wouldn't normally be. It doesn't take much to bend a valve.

Old 09-08-2015, 02:54 PM
Garand36
6th Gear

Ok so after I say the normal travel would be .200 you respond with the limited lifters would not be .200...that's pretty much what I said. Not sure if this is normal format of people asking questions but wow. I don't know how much clearer I can ask does anyone know the depth I should set the pushrods? I don't understand the confusion. I'm not asking for people's opinion on the limited lifters. What you run is your business none of mine. I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with them. It seems I am as well. I'm fully aware that there is not .200 travel in this lifter. I clearly stated that in relation to normal hydraulic lifters. Thanks for the response on setting from the bottom. That was the most helpful statement made. I am aware you have to wait for the lifters to bleed off. I appreciate the reiterating of this tho. You have first hand knowledge and were willing to explain without trying to b-rate me for asking the question. I have just never used a limited lifter. Now according to certain members because they have had bad experiences with them I should pull them and trash them. Well that's your opinion and one that your entitled to. But I'd appreciate if you can not with intelligence answer the question that you not post. I'll ask again...does anyone know what the preload is on the 875-1? That's the just of it. Coming from zero lash or bottomed out...the travel is the same. So if they are bottomed and I retract the pushrods X amount...it would be ballpark on coming in from the top.

Old 09-08-2015, 04:12 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Ok so after I say the normal travel would be .200 you respond with the limited lifters would not be .200...that's pretty much what I said. Not sure if this is normal format of people asking questions but wow. I don't know how much clearer I can ask does anyone know the depth I should set the pushrods? I don't understand the confusion. I'm not asking for people's opinion on the limited lifters. What you run is your business none of mine. I'm sorry you have had bad experiences with them. It seems I am as well. I'm fully aware that there is not .200 travel in this lifter. I clearly stated that in relation to normal hydraulic lifters. Thanks for the response on setting from the bottom. That was the most helpful statement made. I am aware you have to wait for the lifters to bleed off. I appreciate the reiterating of this tho. You have first hand knowledge and were willing to explain without trying to b-rate me for asking the question. I have just never used a limited lifter. Now according to certain members because they have had bad experiences with them I should pull them and trash them. Well that's your opinion and one that your entitled to. But I'd appreciate if you can not with intelligence answer the question that you not post. I'll ask again...does anyone know what the preload is on the 875-1? That's the just of it. Coming from zero lash or bottomed out...the travel is the same. So if they are bottomed and I retract the pushrods X amount...it would be ballpark on coming in from the top.
You are a new member to the forum and your attitude toward other members that are trying to help is not making a good first impression.

The only reason I walked through the "limited travel lifters for dummies" in my previous post was not to disrespect or insult but to clarify and infom since you have also stated that you have never used or adjusted travel limited lifters before. If you find my post offensive; that's on you.

I would suggest that you contact the manufacturer and follow their instructions on preload and if that doesn't work, you should replace them with a conventional lifter. The reason I and others have been recommending against them is that those that try TL lifters and don't know how to adjust them often make a mistake and bend a valve in the process; we just don't want to see that happen to you. Furthermore, no one here wants to take on the responsibility of telling you how to adjust those lifters and then listen to you bitch about a bent valve.

There is no confusion; I think we all understand the question. So, adjusting off the bottom as posted in #7 and confirmed in #8 or if the manufacturer's instructions don't work for you, you are on your own my friend.

Last edited by djl; 09-08-2015 at 04:16 PM.

Quick Reply: 875-1 lifters