Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

tc88 bolt on 96"

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2016, 10:34 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default tc88 bolt on 96"

Ok fellas, been wanting to do engine work and been going back and forth with what I want to do. Seems I have found an option that I don't think I can pass up. I found a set of 96" take off cylinders, pistons, and heads for $300. Came off the bike with less than 100 miles on them. Question is, these should bolt right up to my tc88 correct? I am waiting on an email response as to what year they are off of. Any insight to this would be great. Would this be better than boring to a 95" or 98"? I realize 98", more cubes, more power, but this seems like a way cheaper route to take. I would have to get piston rings and all new gaskets but I am aware of that. Anything I am missing that I should be looking in to?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:02 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser

Ok i received an email response. The cylinders and heads were taken off a 2009 night train off the show room floor for a big bore and se heads. these heads do not have valves or springs. What can I expect to pay for valves and springs and where is a good place to purchase them from?

Old 07-28-2016, 11:12 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

I did a big bore 98 upgrade to my 2001; have not had a chance to upgrade the cams yet. Going with the Andrews 37G.

As far as JUST the 98 inch upgrade, if I had to do it over, I wouldn't. Just that mod by itself isn't justified - IMHO.

I would have just gone with some Andrews 26 gear drive cams for some low end grunt and left it at that.

I'm hoping my 37G cams will give me the increase I was looking for.

Just my two-cents!

Old 07-28-2016, 11:40 PM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by HDKyle
Ok fellas, been wanting to do engine work and been going back and forth with what I want to do. Seems I have found an option that I don't think I can pass up. I found a set of 96" take off cylinders, pistons, and heads for $300. Came off the bike with less than 100 miles on them. Question is, these should bolt right up to my tc88 correct? I am waiting on an email response as to what year they are off of. Any insight to this would be great. Would this be better than boring to a 95" or 98"? I realize 98", more cubes, more power, but this seems like a way cheaper route to take. I would have to get piston rings and all new gaskets but I am aware of that. Anything I am missing that I should be looking in to?
The bore is the same 3 5/8", the 96" has a longer stroke. It may be worth it if you wanted to get the heads ported and go with a big bore , less down time.

Old 07-28-2016, 11:45 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser

I see, i thought the bore was bigger on the 96". Being that it is the same bore and doesn't come with connecting rods I wouldn't be gaining anything. I wanted to work on it in the winter so down time doesn't hurt me. Might as well just have my jugs bored and current heads worked. Guess that answers my questions.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:40 AM
SafetyFifth
Cruiser
Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by DanDman
The bore is the same 3 5/8", the 96" has a longer stroke. It may be worth it if you wanted to get the heads ported and go with a big bore , less down time.
x2 the 88ci and 96ci are same bore. The 96 has slightly more stroke. IMO if your looking for more power, get a good set of cams and if you havent already done it, a full exhaust and air breather.

Old 07-29-2016, 06:00 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

We bore the OEM cylinder to 3.937", yeilding 98" swept volume on top of the 4" stroke,(107" on top of the 4 3/8" stroke) and we were one of the first shops in the country to do so, back in 2006-2007.
Combined with one of our several levels of cylinder head work, matched to the cam that will fill the needs/wants of your riding, you'll have a smooth, powerful combo.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
Old 07-29-2016, 06:47 AM
prodrag1320
Banned
Received 622 Likes on 398 Posts

as long as the heads are OK,300.00 isn't a bad price just for the heads,since you've got the cylinders too,porting & boring can be done on the new set for less down time,give a little info about your riding style & what kind of power your looking for

Old 07-29-2016, 10:02 AM
multihdrdr
Club Member
Received 2,232 Likes on 1,810 Posts

Originally Posted by Hillsidecycle.com
We bore the OEM cylinder to 3.937", yeilding 98" swept volume on top of the 4" stroke,(107" on top of the 4 3/8" stroke)
That reminded me of decades ago (long before there was an "online") when I memorized the formula for finding cubic inch displacement. Still to this day... immediate recall.

Bore x Bore x Stroke x .7854 x 2 (# of cyl) = Total cubic inch displacement.

Old 07-29-2016, 12:49 PM
HDKyle
Cruiser

Originally Posted by prodrag1320
as long as the heads are OK,300.00 isn't a bad price just for the heads,since you've got the cylinders too,porting & boring can be done on the new set for less down time,give a little info about your riding style & what kind of power your looking for
Oh i was totally ready to get the heads for $300, however i did get an email response and the valves and springs are not included. So i'll have what?...another $200 in valves and springs? I'm not worried about down time since i'll do it in the winter. I have to do this on a budget. I thought the 96" pistons were bigger but since they aren't this doesn't help me. I am in omaha and was planning on just driving up to de moines and having axtell bore my jugs if I go that route. If I can find valves and springs for a reasonable price those heads will be worth it as they are better than what I have without any work done to them. I do plan on getting cams. Leaning towards andrews 26 or lunati voodoo.

I just thought maybe this would be a nice easy inexpensive way to increase my cubic inch.

Quick Reply: tc88 bolt on 96"