Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Wet head?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2017, 11:14 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Wet head?

Hey guys just built a fuel Moto 107 tonight. 14 ultra classic. This was my first liquid cooled and I just assumed being as it's cooled heads the coolant would only hit the heads. Well we got it together and fired it up. Coolant everywhere. As far as I can tell the wetheads use a different head gasket? These head gaskets were the same as every other one I've used from FM. Am I missing something here or did I get the wrong gaskets?

Old 02-19-2017, 01:09 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Is it an Ultra, or is it a wethead?

From what I remember, the wethead gasket can be used on an Ultra, but not the other way around.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-19-2017, 02:17 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Is it an Ultra, or is it a wethead?

From what I remember, the wethead gasket can be used on an Ultra, but not the other way around.

For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters
It's an ultra classic wethead. This was also my first time using rockouts. Wish I could say how they worked

Old 02-19-2017, 10:51 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

The gaskets are different.... 16500066 for the twin cooled, 16787-99A for the airhead.

And of course the one you need is twice the price of the other one....$14 list.

Thanks for using my Rockouts

Old 02-19-2017, 10:55 AM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
The gaskets are different.... 16500066 for the twin cooled, 16787-99A for the airhead.

And of course the one you need is twice the price of the other one....$14 list.

Thanks for using my Rockouts

Ok that's what I figured. Now to get ahold of FM and see why I got the wrong gaskets. Did their level B heads also so no question it was for liquid cooled

Old 02-20-2017, 12:46 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Update. Talked to Brian at FM this morning.told him what happened and what I needed to correct it. They're shipping me out a complete top end kit today with 2 day shipping. Told him I only needed from the heads up but he wanted make absolutely sure I had everything needed to put this bike on the road. FM has always been a stand up company and they've showed me that once again. Mistakes happen no matter who you are, it's how you correct it that matters. Thanks FM.

Last edited by 2deuceguy; 02-20-2017 at 12:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Back-n-Black (02-20-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 05:12 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,946 Likes on 2,167 Posts

I thought Rushmore Ultra Classics (FLHTCU) were air cooled, therefore not "wetheads". Am I mistaken?

Old 02-26-2017, 06:10 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
I thought Rushmore Ultra Classics (FLHTCU) were air cooled, therefore not "wetheads". Am I mistaken?
My bad I just talked to the guy that owns it and it's an ultra limited.

The following users liked this post:
GalvTexGuy (02-26-2017)
Old 02-26-2017, 06:11 PM
asm481
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

They probably sent the wrong gaskets because you told them you had a different bike. The Ultra classic is not water cooled. period. The Ultra Limited is water cooled. If you were as insistent on it being a Ultra Classic with FuelMoto as you are here it is a no wonder you got wrong gaskets. see post 3

Old 02-26-2017, 06:53 PM
2deuceguy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by asm481
They probably sent the wrong gaskets because you told them you had a different bike. The Ultra classic is not water cooled. period. The Ultra Limited is water cooled. If you were as insistent on it being a Ultra Classic with FuelMoto as you are here it is a no wonder you got wrong gaskets. see post 3
That could be true if I hadn't specifically told them it was a wethead. I also ordered their level B heads, for a wet head. The heads they sent had coolant passages as they were supposed to so it's highly unlikely they thought it was air cooled only. Regardless FM handled it excellently, the bike is together and on the road. I learned something about these head gaskets as well. My bad on calling it a classic but that really wasn't the point of the thread. However, I do stand corrected.

Quick Reply: Wet head?