Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Engine vibration/loose?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 12:44 PM
muaymendez1
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Engine vibration/loose?

Hey guys. First let me introduce myself. First part. José from Staten Island.
​​​​​​. I have a 91 flhs with 80k on the tach. I recently replaced the fork seals due to a leak. I raised the bike under the motor with a jack and block of wood.
​​​​​​. Shortly after during a ride I stared hearing some rattling on decel. It became progressively worse in a matter of 20 miles. At first I thought it was something in the forks but I soon realized that the rattling is a vibration in the motor. It takes and shakes badly on decel or around 1800 rpm on side stand.
​​​​​​. I just replaced the front isolator and checked the top centering mount. Everything felt nice and tight.
I still have not checked the bottom centering mount for torque.
​​​​​​. Next ideas are rear isolator mounts..
The motor was replaced 4 years ago 8k miles along with the mounts.
​​​​​​. Start am I missing here. Motor runs like a top.the rattle/vibe started slowly increasing in stregth and noise leading me to Beleive something loosened.
Why would my motor be rocking and rolling in its frame.
​​​​​​. Thanka in advance

​​​​​

The following users liked this post:
ntraindavefl (07-01-2017)
Old 06-27-2017, 04:29 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,226 Likes on 3,609 Posts

I'd check all the motor mounts.. In particular the ones between the motor and tranny.. Also check the exhaust system.. It might have cracked a mount.. Rear head pipe can split.. Motors on the rubber mounts can bounce around some at idle..

Old 06-28-2017, 08:58 AM
muaymendez1
Novice
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
I'd check all the motor mounts.. In particular the ones between the motor and tranny.. Also check the exhaust system.. It might have cracked a mount.. Rear head pipe can split.. Motors on the rubber mounts can bounce around some at idle..
​​​​​​. Mounts between engine and tranny.?? I've looked all over. Can't find these.
Update
​​​​​​. I took tank off checked stabilizer and new front mount. With tank off and some fuel in a bottle I ran it for 5 minutes trying to recreate the noise and vibe. It didn't do it. Changing clutch cable today and will see by this weekend if she continues to rattle

Last edited by muaymendez1; 06-28-2017 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Misspelling
Old 07-01-2017, 02:00 PM
1340hog
Tourer
Received 59 Likes on 55 Posts

The rear mounts are rubber bushings on the swing arm shaft, just below and behind the passenger floor board mounts.

Old 07-01-2017, 03:32 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,226 Likes on 3,609 Posts

Pic show tranny and crankcase.. 3 1/2 in long bolts drop through these holes to connect the motor and tranny together.. Make sure they are tight.

Old 07-21-2017, 08:55 PM
bootshd
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well you almost had me. Until I seen an amp and extra wiring so I could use the stock controls. I really would rather have a plug and play unit. I have owned many dressers over the years and only had one issue with an H-K uniit. The CD player stoped working.

I really see no reason a bike needs an amp, I would rather just ad a better set of speakers for a crisper sound. More power doesn't mean better sound.I

But I do appreciate your imput, thanks,
​​​​​​