Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Backfires through intake and exhaust

Old 09-06-2017, 06:14 PM
jeremyjbroad@gmail.com
Stage III
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Backfires through intake and exhaust

Hi everybody. I have a 98 heritage springer that I bought 6 months ago. It's been hard to start since I bought it, backfiring through the air cleaner and out the tailpipe. It's now gotten to the point where it won't run and just backfires. I'm an auto mechanic and in my line of work it would be an ignition timing issue, but I know Harleys are a whole other world. I wonder if the ignition module, which is a crane fireball hi4e, is advancing the timing like it's at 2500 rpm all the time. I read about pushrods being out of adjustment and causing this issue, but I pulled the covers down, set the cam off the loved and I can rotate them with my fingers and they have no free play. Any ideas?

The following users liked this post:
rnrobert (10-11-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 05:48 AM
Hillsidecycle.com
Sponsor
Received 816 Likes on 581 Posts

The older Crane ignitions have had a nasty reputation over the years of going sour.
We use/stock Dyna 2000i's, when we encounter that scenario,(no spark) if in fact that is the problem.
Scott

Sales/Support 315-495-6650
www.hillsidecycle.com
Walk-in Retail Showroom
Complete H-D Machine Shop
Case & cylinder boring
Complete Cylinder Head Shop
High-Performance Engine Kits
Crank Rebuilding
Direct Link & PowerVision Tuning
Goodson HD Tooling Manufacturer
Maxton Mile World Record
4500 sq ft. facility

OVER 35 YEARS OF H-D ENGINE BUILDING.
See us on Facebook.
rnrobert (10-11-2017)
Old 09-07-2017, 12:18 PM
jeremyjbroad@gmail.com
Stage III

It has spark

Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Probably has an intake manifold leak.. Spray some brake clean around the flanges that connect the manifold to the heads. See if idle changes. Check carb to manifold. Check to make sure the petcock vacuum line will hold a vacuum. Same with voes switch line. I would look for exhaust leaks..

rnrobert (10-11-2017)
Old 09-09-2017, 02:29 PM
jeremyjbroad@gmail.com
Stage III

Originally Posted by Max Headflow
Probably has an intake manifold leak.. Spray some brake clean around the flanges that connect the manifold to the heads. See if idle changes. Check carb to manifold. Check to make sure the petcock vacuum line will hold a vacuum. Same with voes switch line. I would look for exhaust leaks..
Can't find any exhaust leaks. The petcock vacuum line is holding vacuum. Sprayed the intake gaskets and got a little change in idle so I went ahead and replaced the intake gaskets. Started it up and let it idle a while, wouldn't idle without the choke partially on, but shut it off and wouldn't restart. Doing the same thing again. Backfiring through the intake and exhaust. I know automotive knowledge doesn't apply on harleys, but it sure seems like an ignition timing issue.

Old 09-09-2017, 02:38 PM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,223 Likes on 3,607 Posts

Sounds like the pilot jet is plugged..

Old 09-13-2017, 09:26 AM
GibsonSG
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

same concepts apply...

air, spark, gas

verify pushrod/ lifter pre-load
verify compression & leak down

If it starts with choke and will come up to operating temp but then won't start/ run once the choke is closed...I'd suspect gas (carb primary), more than ignition timing.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM
RKGDCG03
Road Warrior

Received 535 Likes on 378 Posts

Originally Posted by jeremyjbroad@gmail.com
Hi everybody. I have a 98 heritage springer that I bought 6 months ago. It's been hard to start since I bought it, backfiring through the air cleaner and out the tailpipe. It's now gotten to the point where it won't run and just backfires. I'm an auto mechanic and in my line of work it would be an ignition timing issue, but I know Harleys are a whole other world. I wonder if the ignition module, which is a crane fireball hi4e, is advancing the timing like it's at 2500 rpm all the time. I read about pushrods being out of adjustment and causing this issue, but I pulled the covers down, set the cam off the loved and I can rotate them with my fingers and they have no free play. Any ideas?
Does it backfire through the intake and the exhaust at the same time or one time is the intake and the next time is the exhaust?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:54 AM
marcodarq
Stellar HDF Member
Received 715 Likes on 565 Posts

i might be that your carb needs to be diss-assembled and cleaned,,,,,the slow/pilot jet affects idle,,,if it's plugged or partially blocked,,it wont start and run correctly. take it apart and clean it like you would a car carb and blow the passages with compressed air. then try it out with nice plugs.
m

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 AM
rnrobert
Advanced

check basics first compression number one at least rule out mechanical . sounds like timing jumped somehow.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Backfires through intake and exhaust