Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Mystery Engine

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 10:48 AM
COHarleyGuy
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery Engine

So I finally got my first Harley after 22 years of riding Honda, Yamaha and others. A good friend passed away and his wife wanted me to have his bike. This being my first Harley (American Iron) bike, I have no prior history or knowledge about any of this stuff. I have always done my own work on my bikes and have been very active with any work that they may have required.

What I know so far. The bike was a "custom" build from California Motorcycle Company (CMC). The frame is a 1997 Softail (not sure of exact model), the crankcase has a number on it that I can't figure out who makes it. The upper hardware along with the carb was made by S&S. The stamp on the crankcase is on the right hand (carb) side of the engine.

I contacted S&S and gave them the number on the crankcase and they said its not one of theirs. I have tried to reach out to Ultima, RevTech dealer but to no avail.

The engine needs to be cleaned up and gone through but before I start taking stuff apart, I want to be a little educated since this is my first experience with this type of engine setup. Thanks in advance!

Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

Originally Posted by COHarleyGuy
So I finally got my first Harley after 22 years of riding Honda, Yamaha and others. A good friend passed away and his wife wanted me to have his bike. This being my first Harley (American Iron) bike, I have no prior history or knowledge about any of this stuff. I have always done my own work on my bikes and have been very active with any work that they may have required.

What I know so far. The bike was a "custom" build from California Motorcycle Company (CMC). The frame is a 1997 Softail (not sure of exact model), the crankcase has a number on it that I can't figure out who makes it. The upper hardware along with the carb was made by S&S. The stamp on the crankcase is on the right hand (carb) side of the engine.

I contacted S&S and gave them the number on the crankcase and they said its not one of theirs. I have tried to reach out to Ultima, RevTech dealer but to no avail.

The engine needs to be cleaned up and gone through but before I start taking stuff apart, I want to be a little educated since this is my first experience with this type of engine setup. Thanks in advance!
For what? You didn't ask us anything.... LOL
I think you meant to post the engine number?

Old 09-08-2017, 01:42 PM
Back-n-Black
Road Warrior
Received 427 Likes on 229 Posts

Pictures would be great as well....

Old 09-08-2017, 02:19 PM
mmesa005
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 737 Likes on 704 Posts

From your description you have a CMC Wildrider Softail. They used S&S motors. Not certain who's frame they used though I have read some were Harley frames? Either way, while not a OEM Harley, a very nice ride!

Look like this?

Last edited by mmesa005; 09-08-2017 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:23 PM
COHarleyGuy
6th Gear

Pictures would be nice but since I am a "newbie", the pictures won't work yet from what I have read so far.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:25 PM
COHarleyGuy
6th Gear

After a good scrubbing I found the S&S serial number on the engine just above the crankcase. Man, the last owner didn't believe in bathing her at all. Lets see how many oil leaks I have just opened up by cleaning all the gunk off the engine. :-)

Old 09-08-2017, 10:12 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,744 Likes on 3,511 Posts

Originally Posted by COHarleyGuy
After a good scrubbing I found the S&S serial number on the engine just above the crankcase. Man, the last owner didn't believe in bathing her at all. Lets see how many oil leaks I have just opened up by cleaning all the gunk off the engine. :-)
Now I'm confused...

"contacted S&S and gave them the number on the crankcase and they said its not one of theirs"

Old 09-10-2017, 08:46 AM
COHarleyGuy
6th Gear

Sorry folks, I am pretty new to this whole forum thing and I have been really distracted while typing my responses.

The number that is stamped on the motor has a star (*) and then X3700 from what I can see. Any idea?

Old 09-10-2017, 09:39 AM
seehogs
Advanced
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I believe CMC used S&S parts to assemble their own engines. Bike is Most if not
all aftermarket parts. Pretty decent bikes. They can have several different kinds of frames,wheels,wire harnesses and brake calipers. Ride it and have fun!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Max Headflow
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,259 Likes on 3,629 Posts

I owned a 99 CMC rocket 88

It had a 88 ci SnS motor that was assembled from parts by CMC. Most of it was SnS but the rocker covers and arms were Custom Chrome. It had a super E carb.

They built their own frames in house and that were a copy of a 92 softail frame except that the connecting pieces were plasma cut steel. A typical after market frame..

It ran a Primo Brute III internal belt drive. Revtech 5 speed with close ratio first. Shocks were Progressive 422s (POS). Showa front front end. Thunderheart forward controls, calipers, ignition / elect. Most other parts were CCI.. IIRC the inner primary was Delkron but outer CCI.

Quick Reply: Mystery Engine