Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

InstallING Compensator Removal Gears Instead

Old 01-03-2018, 09:30 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 42 Posts
Exclamation InstallING Compensator Removal Gears Instead

Like title says, I have a Baker Compensator, but I hear bad things on all of them, so I found a 34 gear set, that just replaces compensator, I have a 107 build, and only plan to go up, I have the Baker Armored Attitude Adjuster <the new one> Baker Throwout bearing Conversion, As well as the Street Door, and In Talks with a New Grudge Box, Thoughts? pros/cons to removing compensator assembly???

Old 01-03-2018, 11:25 AM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 3,302 Posts

The baker's probably the best one out there. I would leave it because without it, if you go direct drive gear it puts added stress on the crankshaft. A compensator works as a cushion so it would probably be a pretty good idea to keep it...

Old 01-03-2018, 11:55 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

Originally Posted by 98hotrodfatboy
The baker's probably the best one out there. I would leave it because without it, if you go direct drive gear it puts added stress on the crankshaft. A compensator works as a cushion so it would probably be a pretty good idea to keep it...

I agree,
but I read, when Bakers where new , grant it, but they had some issues, and even so, I hear I still need to install, this "oil shield" it keeps oil from getting thrown where not needed, you have to Dremel strengthening ribs down a bit on primary to make it fit, I have site saved, thats why I stopped, next year Hillside, going to split cases, pin/weld/ install SE or the SS Crank/Flywhell, Timken Bearing mod, as well as SE Bearing for other side of case, with doing all this, think I'm really still as such a risk?

ill take it easy on the 107 next summer, till Hillside, Build Motor Correctly, and That Baker Grudgebox in installed, I made a great offer, I should know real soon if I get or not, I cant imagine not, I didn't insult the guy at all....id be happy w/my offer, so well see.....If not, I get the 7- Speed Baker, I been eyeballing, LOL, FATE will decide that one, and that goes in as soon as I get, if he send next week, it will be put on this winter some time....

Old 01-03-2018, 08:47 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Scott turned me on to a solid sprocket in my softail 124, zero complaints. Get the right spacer size for chain alignment and bolt it up. Even Baker told me their compensator is sketchy over 135 ft/lbs.

Old 01-04-2018, 05:35 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by ntraindavefl
Scott turned me on to a solid sprocket in my softail 124, zero complaints. Get the right spacer size for chain alignment and bolt it up. Even Baker told me their compensator is sketchy over 135 ft/lbs.
I didn't want to say it, nut thats why my Bake still in box! lol, evolution industries, comes anew chains as it kiwis rom/gear ratios, thats my biggest concern I already did the 30/70 pulley mod?// think be wayyy to low, who did you use, company? thanks

heres what is coming..

http://shop.evolution-industries.com...product_id=189

if you read, shows corrected issues, lol, I've spent SO MUCH COUNTER-RODUCTIVE money its crazy!!!!!!

good the hear still going strong, and with all the POWER u play with, its a great testament to product, why I'm wondering who you used, they also make a rear wheel from pulley-chain conversion 850!!! but with Power increase at that time will be fine, for this upcoming season I'm fine w/bely, but when I got 124" well I want/NEED A chain drive!!!

Old 01-04-2018, 05:44 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

I mean ill have that t.d. Thayer cam chest oil, pump, supposed to be the best, and a R&R chest plate w/Baisely relief system, dumps oi back into tank not waste on thru relief valve!!

Do you think thats the strongest combo, and best, I have the Blue SS setup, 200 miles, ill be selling cheap, no problems with, just read and researched,
And what I said, those parts are PERFECT for the bill? was gonna go all Fueling Red Race Series, bit not much diff than what I have now!!!

Heres the setup, if your not to familiar, will give you a idea, talked to Tmann on oil pump, excited there, and RR waiting to hear back as ill buy ASAP....pipes aren't here yet, next week sometime, so I need to get this kinda work out of the way..

http://rrcycles.com/cart/index.php?m...roducts_id=179

Old 01-04-2018, 05:46 AM
TOMMYBLAZIN
Road Master

http://rrcycles.com/cart/index.php?m...roducts_id=162

YUM!

Last edited by TOMMYBLAZIN; 01-04-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:37 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts

Your stock plate and pump are up to the task to feed even a big motor as Scott will confirm
The other shiny fancy ones are great I run SS in bagger but stay clear of fueling cam plate
Evo industries is my solid sprocket, watch you don’t shorten the gearing too much or you’ll be shifting like a dirt bike AND trust me Scott’s upper stage work on stock heads will run out the hp as good or better than any. Had a 107 that was still climbing at 6200rpm and the 124 that’s tuned...same thing. Keep focused, stay with your builders advice and don’t buy what you don’t need

The following users liked this post:
TOMMYBLAZIN (01-05-2018)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:40 PM
98hotrodfatboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,787 Likes on 3,302 Posts

Your stock plate and pump are up to the task to feed even a big motor as Scott will confirm
The other shiny fancy ones are great I run SS in bagger but stay clear of fueling cam plate
Evo industries is my solid sprocket, watch you don’t shorten the gearing too much or you’ll be shifting like a dirt bike AND trust me Scott’s upper stage work on stock heads will run out the hp as good or better than any. Had a 107 that was still climbing at 6200rpm and the 124 that’s tuned...same thing. Keep focused, stay with your builders advice and don’t buy what you don’t need
Without a doubt. my 80"er w8 build with his heads was still climbing a 6500... definitely he knows flow...

Old 01-05-2018, 01:09 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 129 Posts

Take a look at the GMR Compusaver instead of the HD kit for lubing the comp. GMR's doesn't need any modification to the primary cover and works better. HD copied his design and I believe there's a couple lawsuits over it. Baker had some issues with the comp when they came out with it 3 years ago, but I haven't seen or heard of any problems with them recently.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: InstallING Compensator Removal Gears Instead