Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

CAM burrs

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 01:13 PM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Far too often im seeing products by companies, not just cycle, that dont pass quality inspection and being sold to low cost dealers as no name secondary channel suppliers. Not saying thats the case here but no way that gets seen and okd. Either someone didnt show for work or they had a bad run and it made its way out the door back channel/cheap sale. I love Amazon but sometimes I think thats where these sellers are.

Old 04-21-2018, 02:17 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GregGillette
Far too often im seeing products by companies, not just cycle, that dont pass quality inspection and being sold to low cost dealers as no name secondary channel suppliers. Not saying thats the case here but no way that gets seen and okd. Either someone didnt show for work or they had a bad run and it made its way out the door back channel/cheap sale. I love Amazon but sometimes I think thats where these sellers are.

Yea, the place that sold them to me were quick to turn around a refund. Unfortunately, I asked them if they would be willing to overnight me a replacement pair and they didn't bother to respond.

S&S on the other hand has been completely responsive and wanted to know who the seller was. I appreciate that.

At the end of the day though, I'd rather be buttoning up the crank case right about now.

que sara...life could be monumentally worse.

Old 04-22-2018, 06:52 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I have a number of S&S products in one of my engines; crank, cams, oil pump, lifters and push rods, so I'm obviously a fan. Let's hope S&S doesn't do what some companies have done and live off past accomplishments while letting quality go downhill.

Old 04-22-2018, 11:36 AM
wfolarry
Tourer
Received 158 Likes on 86 Posts

Looks more like somebody sold you a used set of cams.

Old 04-22-2018, 12:11 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wfolarry
Looks more like somebody sold you a used set of cams.
yea, the thought had crossed my mind. I've done a good amout of drilling steel and that's normal burring.

I had a hard time imagining how that could happen in a motor though and was hoping someone with real world experience might speak up about that. It seemed like there would probably be some hammering and wear marks on the lobes. There wasn't any.

the other thing that made me think they are new is because the box says they were packaged in March 2018. Obviously anyone with a printer could make a label... It seems odd that it would happen. To S&S's credit, they want to talk to the seller.

We'll see. I did notice that S&S got a new CEO in 2015. It's possible that they are in a Quality Assurance slump. I have seen quality slowly diminish when the staff looses respect for leadership. I've reached out to the CEO and am curious to see if there is a response.

All I know is, I'd rather be buttoning up that cam chest and locking down a new tune...

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (04-23-2018)
Old 04-24-2018, 08:18 AM
donk_316
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 49 Posts

Who's the reseller?
Could they be Chinese cams with reproduction boxes and stickers?
Buy cheap Chinese cams and then charge S&S prices

Old 04-24-2018, 01:28 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

I have bought a lot of stuff from s&s, lately it was the 124 kit, top to bottom it was perfect.

Old 04-24-2018, 01:42 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by donk_316
Who's the reseller?

I bought them on Amazon and they were shipped by an outfit in Texas. To S&S's credit they are eager to solve the problem and offered that I could send the units to them for a speedy replacement; which in my opinion they did not need to do. Unfortunately I sent them back to the seller the very next morning.

The vendor that sold them to me has not been fast to respond and has not answered all of my questions. They processed the return and that's it.

As for being knock offs from China...who knows these days. The markings indicate what you'd expect to see from S&S but then again I have been in high school robotics labs that have laser etching systems capable of producing the same work. In fact, some schools these days almost have the tooling to produce these cams.

I will share the vendor name after I get my replacement or cash back.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:15 PM
Exoskeletal
Intermediate

Originally Posted by donk_316
Who's the reseller?
The seller is Powersports Superstore somewhere out of Texas. I've been pretty lucky with ordering things online but these folks were pretty bad. They gave me a return shipping label and ended up denying to refund me the cost of shipping. It wasn't a lot but that's some shady **** to pull.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:52 AM
BezerkoBob
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

That's unfortunate. I have purchased some tools and other non engine related parts from them before without any issues. Glad you caught this and passed it on to the rest of us to beware.

Quick Reply: CAM burrs