Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Harley softail 2009 - not starting

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 03:42 PM
dawroz
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley softail 2009 - not starting

Hallo friends. I need help with my HERITAGE 2009. Im trying to start my bike after road problem. One week ago while I've been riding home my bike started working irregular. Ive stopped the bike immediately. Since then I cant start the engine.
Bike looks good - speedo doesnt show error CODE. My friend came to me with his softail 2009 - we have changed couple of parts and NOTHING happened....
Ive already checked fuel pump, injectors, ECM, crank sensor and I'm sure they're OK.

I dont know what I can do now.... what can it be? Where should I search for the cause of this problem?

Old 06-17-2018, 09:03 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

Is it cranking and not firing or is it not cranking at all? You didn't mention checking the battery at all. Start with the basics before you replace more parts. Check the battery and ground connections.

Old 06-18-2018, 02:09 AM
dawroz
Advanced

Dear friends, I wouldn't bother you if it was about weak battery
Of course I've checked obvious reasons like voltage, spark, battery or no fuel.
It's cranking like trying to start but it's not starting. The spark is OK.

Old 06-19-2018, 05:45 PM
ghost183
Tourer
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

this sounds like a definate sensor issue unless you blew holes in your pistons and dont have any more compression just messin with ya..

sounds like your TPS is the issue, this sensor most of the time does NOT trigger a code

these 3 are worth a try.. have helped me in the past but obviously not on an 09 heritage

1) disconnect the battery for a several minutes, then disconnect the TPI, reconnect the battery but NOT the TPI and try to start.. will run like sh*t but good chance it will start, you can try just by disconnecting the TPI but the resistance values are stored in the ecu and it will be looking for those resistance values while trying to maintain idle.. it might sputter and die almost immediately

2) try to start it with the throttle twisted WOT, usually has to crank for 4-5 seconds, this forces the ecu into some sort of default mode thinking the sensors are bad and it defaults into a preprogrammed failsafe, sorta like a limp home mode

3) disconnect the battery for a while to drain the capacitors in the ecu so they forget the running values for the various sensors, reconnect and try again

keep in mind.. these procedures will trip a bunch of error codes so clear them when youre done

Old 06-21-2018, 01:41 PM
dawroz
Advanced

Hallo guys. Ive made couple of tests (same like in your advices too). NOTHING.
110 PSI compression on both cylinders,
Ive checked fuses etc.
Bike has "hiccups" to airfilter (snorting) and doesnt want to start. ...

Old 06-21-2018, 05:48 PM
baloot-boy
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

Have you tired fuel pressure test? Try to start bike while the fuel pump is initializing (yellow light is still on). If it starts, then dies, you may have a fuel pressure issue.

Old 06-22-2018, 11:39 AM
Zanthamos
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 431 Likes on 360 Posts

When was the last time that you have fueled up? Being summer in Poland I would venture a guess and say that there is high humidity there and that you may have watery gas. . .