Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

How does the Mighty-Might compare with full size Love Jugs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2018, 12:50 PM
Z
Road Warrior
Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
Default How does the Mighty-Might compare with full size Love Jugs?

Performance wise, of course.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:00 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I use Wards FCS fans.

Old 08-04-2018, 05:53 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Exclamation

Z, we know you've had a challenging time recently with your bike, however you are blundering around like someone looking for the light switch in a dark room! You can only improve your confidence in your bike by riding it and rolling up the miles. It's the weekend, time for a long day in the saddle!

Old 08-05-2018, 02:32 PM
cdonis
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 240 Posts

Ive thought about fans, but my engine builder seemed less than impressed with them. He said that a good oil cooler is more important. I'm running a 124 and I just added an ultracool 2.0 cooler. The fans kick on at 210 degree oil temp. With 35 miles of 80mph highway riding last night at 70 degree ambient.......fans didn't activate.

Old 08-05-2018, 11:57 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Nomadmax
I'm interested in hearing about this as well. I use Wards FCS fans.
I called Love Jugs and spoke with Dave. For my application he advised against the Mighty-Mites because they don't have a frame mount for my year and they won't handle the vibration as well as the full size fans. He also said the full size are just a better product, cooling wise.

Originally Posted by grbrown
Z, we know you've had a challenging time recently with your bike, however you are blundering around like someone looking for the light switch in a dark room! You can only improve your confidence in your bike by riding it and rolling up the miles. It's the weekend, time for a long day in the saddle!
Why yes, yes I am. And once I find that light switch and illuminate and correct the cause of my cylinders operating at 100 degrees difference with the rear running at 360 ish degrees, then I'll jump on and go for a nice long putt. Until then, my bank account cant take any more "ride it and see what happens" events that trash my motor. I'll also be just as pleased if someone presents data that indicates that's not a bad thing, that 360 degree rear cylinder. A few pretty bright people here are already predicting a tear-down in my near term future. I'd like to head that off, if possible.

Originally Posted by cdonis
Ive thought about fans, but my engine builder seemed less than impressed with them. He said that a good oil cooler is more important. I'm running a 124 and I just added an ultracool 2.0 cooler. The fans kick on at 210 degree oil temp. With 35 miles of 80mph highway riding last night at 70 degree ambient.......fans didn't activate.
My builder feels the same way, but when I expressed that my concern is immediate cooling from sudden bumper to bumper traffic (welcome to the bay aread) he agreed that fans would probably be a better solution.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-06-2018)
Old 08-07-2018, 11:22 PM
MRFREEZE57
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,082 Likes on 1,910 Posts

as a 38 year refrigeration tech, the first law of thermodynamics is that air flow across a warmer/cooler surface will cause heat transfer. any more air movement that can be provided around the hottest surfaces would for sure be helpful.

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (08-08-2018)
Old 08-08-2018, 08:20 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Original love juggs blow air across the top of the cylinder, mighty mites blow air through the passageway in the cylinder head.

I subscribe to Eric Wards theory about cooling the cylinder head. (you can read it here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tem-again.html) At the time I was ready to purchase he was not taking orders, so I ended up buying a set of mighty mites.

My experience was the cylinder head temperature dropped 60-80 degrees as monitored with a Power Vision.This data comes from the stock temp sensor mounted on the front cylinder head, which has it's limitations for accuracy. This stuff can be argued all day long but my conclusion is any help with cooling is a step in the right direction. Keep in mind that NONE of this stuff is an absolute guarantee that you won't have problems

Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 AM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
Original love juggs blow air across the top of the cylinder, mighty mites blow air through the passageway in the cylinder head.

I subscribe to Eric Wards theory about cooling the cylinder head. (you can read it here https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tem-again.html) At the time I was ready to purchase he was not taking orders, so I ended up buying a set of mighty mites.

My experience was the cylinder head temperature dropped 60-80 degrees as monitored with a Power Vision.This data comes from the stock temp sensor mounted on the front cylinder head, which has it's limitations for accuracy. This stuff can be argued all day long but my conclusion is any help with cooling is a step in the right direction. Keep in mind that NONE of this stuff is an absolute guarantee that you won't have problems
The lead engineer at Love Jugs said that for my bike, he'd definitely not go with the Mighty Mite because it doesn't have a frame-mount option and suggested it wouldn't hold up as well as their full size product. For that reason, if I decide to go with either, I'll not use the Mighty Mite. I'm not going to pull the trigger on this purchase until I know what's behind my high rear cylinder temps: It may wind up being unnecessary.

Old 08-09-2018, 10:50 AM
Fat11Lo
Road Warrior
Received 470 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by Z
The lead engineer at Love Jugs said that for my bike, he'd definitely not go with the Mighty Mite because it doesn't have a frame-mount option and suggested it wouldn't hold up as well as their full size product. For that reason, if I decide to go with either, I'll not use the Mighty Mite. I'm not going to pull the trigger on this purchase until I know what's behind my high rear cylinder temps: It may wind up being unnecessary.
You have already stated that in another post and I read it

From reading all of your other threads, I don't think fans will help your situation

You asked in this thread's first post about the differences in the two, I shared my knowledge and personal experience and by no means suggesting that any of these will help your problem

Old 08-10-2018, 04:59 PM
Z
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Fat11Lo
You have already stated that in another post and I read it

From reading all of your other threads, I don't think fans will help your situation

You asked in this thread's first post about the differences in the two, I shared my knowledge and personal experience and by no means suggesting that any of these will help your problem
Stating it a 2nd time wasn't intended do diminish the valid points you made, which I and other readers I'm sure appreciate: they were helpful facts about the product. Thank you for them.

And no, adding fans is absolutely not going to solve my problem. Heat is a symptom of my problem this time around, not the cause.

If I choose to add fans, it will be because traffic in my part of California is getting worse and worse, meaning more and more time caught i traffic, meaning more and more heat being trapped in my engine.