Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

fuel tank cross over line

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2019, 06:41 PM
Xpressway
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Old 02-15-2019, 09:01 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,493 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpressway
Looks like the Goodridge referenced in a previous reply.

Old 02-17-2019, 12:43 PM
Xpressway
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, its a Goodridge.

Old 02-21-2019, 10:19 AM
Boooosh
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used one of these and it leaked. it was a black Motion Pro ( I believe) Are you guys using this with fuel injected bikes?
I have an 07 Road Glide and would love to use one, but the thought of it leaking over a hot head keeps me away from a purchase.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:30 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Boooosh
I used one of these and it leaked. it was a black Motion Pro ( I believe) Are you guys using this with fuel injected bikes? I have an 07 Road Glide and would love to use one, but the thought of it leaking over a hot head keeps me away from a purchase.
I am using this on a fuel injected softail but the disconnect cannot be located over the cylinder head because of the way the nipples from the fuel tank are oriented. I do use the Goodridge on a carbureted touring model; as shown in my previous post. Never had a leak but the rocker box cover doesn't get hot enough to make me worry. If the leak is bad enough to no evaporate on the rocker box and drips down to the exhaust, still not a big concern. Typical exhaust temps at the head pipe to head connection are less than 400* and unleaded fuel needs to see near 500* to self ignite. A bigger problem is how to fix the leak out in east bum****, so carry a piece of fuel line to replace the QD fitting or carry a spare fitting to get home. If cylinder head temps are hitting 400*+, that's another problem.

IIRC, the Motion Pro fittings are plastic and I would expect them to leak; don't use plastic.

Old 02-21-2019, 11:44 AM
Boooosh
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
I am using this on a fuel injected softail but the disconnect cannot be located over the cylinder head because of the way the nipples from the fuel tank are oriented. I do use the Goodridge on a carbureted touring model; as shown in my previous post. Never had a leak but the rocker box cover doesn't get hot enough to make me worry. If the leak is bad enough to no evaporate on the rocker box and drips down to the exhaust, still not a big concern. Typical exhaust temps at the head pipe to head connection are less than 400* and unleaded fuel needs to see near 500* to self ignite. A bigger problem is how to fix the leak out in east bum****, so carry a piece of fuel line to replace the QD fitting or carry a spare fitting to get home. If cylinder head temps are hitting 400*+, that's another problem.

IIRC, the Motion Pro fittings are plastic and I would expect them to leak; don't use plastic.

Gotcha,
Thanks for the reply.
Does anyone have a pic of how they mounted this on a fuel injected tank?

Old 02-21-2019, 01:06 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Boooosh
Gotcha,
Thanks for the reply. Does anyone have a pic of how they mounted this on a fuel injected tank?
If the bike is the one shown in your post, mounting should be same as shown in the previously posted photo; no difference in tank nipples between carb and EFI on the earlier modeis and I think will be the same on later touring models.

Old 02-23-2019, 12:21 PM
donhoe
Advanced
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As far as pressure go's in the cross over line, make sure you loosen gas cap first!
Don't ask how I know this!

Old 02-24-2019, 09:12 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,895 Likes on 2,551 Posts

Originally Posted by Xpressway
Thanks for posting the link. I had the plastic Motion Pro one on my Shovel, the male side leaked when the line was separated. Ordered this one, looks to be far more stout of a piece.

And for the others, I have this general setup on a Shovel, carb Evo and Fuel injected Twin Cam, works well on all of the them. With the exception of the one noted above that I am replacing, I have been able to remove the tanks from the bike for extended periods of time while doing other work, did not drain tank and they did not leak. Should be setup like this format he factory.