Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Thoughts on fluids

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 11:00 AM
Damaged Goods
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on fluids

Hey folks, I needed a bit of input pertaining to fluids. My sled is a 2011 flexible flyer oooops. Sorry. It’s a 2011 fxdwg. I’m in-process of putting in a new Barnett clutch-pak then have to replace cam-chain shoe. (Not timing chain) I guess they call it the secondary. Whatever! Ya know the deal. Yet, I wasn’t paying attention and I put conventional oil in everything. So......question is can someone tell me what the difference truly is between syn and conv.? Real quick. A friend said, folks are losing cam-plates because of how syn. doesn’t allow the bearings to work as they’re supposed to. I honestly haven’t noticed any difference except price. Any other input I’d appreciate. Gonna git’r’dun today. Thanks and stay groovy😎
Damaged Goods

Old 05-09-2019, 11:55 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,481 Likes on 4,604 Posts

Stop....your killin me.......

The following users liked this post:
Max Headflow (05-09-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 12:07 PM
Mattbastard
Elite HDF Member

Received 1,408 Likes on 864 Posts
Old 05-09-2019, 01:07 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,018 Likes on 1,492 Posts
Old 05-09-2019, 01:23 PM
Damaged Goods
5th Gear
Default Sentiments noted

To those that replied. Thank you all for allowing me to answer my own question. Groovy😎

Old 05-10-2019, 09:02 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Damaged Goods
To those that replied. Thank you all for allowing me to answer my own question. Groovy😎
Seriously, don't worry about conventional or synthetic if the oil is a motorcycle oil. However, don't use motor oil in the transmission; use gear oil; 75W90, 80W90, 85W140 etc. and any name brand. Redline Shockproof is pretty popular on the HD forums for transmissions. Some get hung up on specialty lubricants for the primary but I have run 20W40 and 20W50 conventional in both my bikes for years. Don't worry about even mixing conventional and syn or switching from one to the other with an oil change. Using the HD products is not necessary as some believe.

Old 05-10-2019, 10:13 AM
Damaged Goods
5th Gear
Default Wrenching

Hey brotha, thank you. It was something simple I only wanted to throw out there and see what kind of response I’d receive back. You! My friend are the only one that gave me a legitimate answer, that I appreciate. I do all my own work. Except wheels(tires). And there is only one shop I trust. The only time my bike is in there is if I made a really bad mistake. Other than that, the shop owner will help me over the phone if I’ve got an issue I’m far from familiar. And I’m not allowed to bring my bike in unless I’m out of options. Trust me. They’re ball busters over there. Yet I get a great deal of respect and self satisfaction for doing things myself. I take it you might be the same. Do it yourself? As I’ve said in the new member paragraph. This is the first time using any site. I’m leery as hell doing this and struggle to navagate these pages. I’m learning who’s who and what’s what. To you good sir. My wrenches are raised. That’s my way of saying thanks for answering such a simple question. Stay groovy😎

Old 05-10-2019, 10:16 AM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,532 Likes on 3,784 Posts

I have 4 flexible flyers. (Really) One has wood top rails. B wax only.

For the Harley. 15-50 Mobile is fine for engine. Use Mobile V twin if really hot since it has more additives. (I personally think they settle out if bike sets...and for sure,.shake container before using) SYN 3 is fine. Use Formula + straight weight gear oil with no detergent for transmission and primary. No filters there, so from an engineer standpoint, non detergent is best. Harley is the only one who has that spec.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 05-10-2019 at 12:13 PM.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:28 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by Damaged Goods
Hey brotha, thank you. It was something simple I only wanted to throw out there and see what kind of response I’d receive back. You! My friend are the only one that gave me a legitimate answer, that I appreciate. I do all my own work. Except wheels(tires). And there is only one shop I trust. The only time my bike is in there is if I made a really bad mistake. Other than that, the shop owner will help me over the phone if I’ve got an issue I’m far from familiar. And I’m not allowed to bring my bike in unless I’m out of options. Trust me. They’re ball busters over there. Yet I get a great deal of respect and self satisfaction for doing things myself. I take it you might be the same. Do it yourself? As I’ve said in the new member paragraph. This is the first time using any site. I’m leery as hell doing this and struggle to navagate these pages. I’m learning who’s who and what’s what. To you good sir. My wrenches are raised. That’s my way of saying thanks for answering such a simple question. Stay groovy😎
I am a DIY guy; '02 FLHT with an all bore 107" built motor and an '05 FXSTD with a built 98" motor; both bike have many other various performance and cosmetic modifications; most canoot nail down the model and/or year of the old FL since it looks more like an FLHX.

Don't be leery of posting on this forum; on balance the more knowledgeable members are always willing to help out. The reason you got the responses you go to your lubricant questions is really simple. Oil is not a complicated issue but there have been so many questions asking about oil choices, weights, brands, syn vs conventional, etc. that can be answered with a bit of homework that the first reaction by many forum members is to either ignore the question, particularly if the question is the posted by a "new" member that could be a troll. Or to respond as some did, myself included, with "here we go again", another oil thread, "how many times do we have to answer this question". No malice or disrespect is intended, those replies are more of a reflex than a thoughtful reply.

So, don't be offended, keep coming back with your questions and you will find plenty of knowledgeable advice and help from this forum. That is the reason I replied a second time, so you would not get discouraged and understand some of the " oh no" replies.

Old 05-10-2019, 12:19 PM
Damaged Goods
5th Gear

lol😃😃😃
Another reason is....I’m trying to save some F’n money. Believe you me folks I do understand the functions of how that **** works. I really want to save some coin. Because of folks as yourself I’ll come back. Stay groovy😎