Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Looking for cam tools

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 01:13 AM
DrO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking for cam tools

I would like to borrow or rent or buy used specialty tools for the cam job. On a budget and my oil pump decided to croak on my 07 dyna 96 twin cam. Help a brother maintain his sanity by getting back on the road!

I am in Napa CA also if you happen to be close

This would include

- inner cam bearing remover

- inner cam bearing installer

- sprocket lock

- oil pump alignment tools

Last edited by DrO; 05-15-2019 at 01:19 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,030 Likes on 1,498 Posts

In your situation, you can rent a blind hole puller from AutoZone or some of the other auto parts houses; just be sure the correct size collet is in the kit. If you can get your hands on an old cam shaft, you can use it to tap in the new bearings. Just freeze the bearings over night, use plenty of assembly lube, make sure the bearing is straight in the bore and tap it in. No need to beat on it, it will go in pretty easy. Of course, if you have the funds you can get the Heartland tool, use it and try to sell it when done. You don't need any other tools, so if you buy any tool, this would be the one to buy/rent/borrow.

You don't need the sprocket lock. The rear cam and pinion sprockets are only torqued to 35# and 25# and can be R/Rd by putting the trans in first gear and locking down the brake.

You don't need any special tools to align the oil pump. The pump and plate should be installed as a unit, not separately. Attach the pump to plate with two fasteners, finger tight, at opposite corners and install the pump/plate assembly. With plugs out and trans in 6th gear rotate the back wheel by hand while tightening those two fasteners; that should align the pump. Then install the other two plate to pump fasteners and torque to spec.

If you don't have the service manual, you should get one.

Old 05-17-2019, 03:16 PM
DrO
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solved. Thanks