Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Evolution engine crankcase breather filter. Fit one or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 07:47 AM
Olias
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Evolution engine crankcase breather filter. Fit one or not?

After surfing through various topics/threads & places to post this, I figured here was best.

I have a 1996 Evo FXSTC. 24,000 miles. Can anyone advise regards whether or not to fit a crankcase breather filter to it?

The standard set up (i.e. back into the air filter) is what it has at the minute. The bike often has small drops of oil on top of the gear case (timing housing) and after a hard(er) ride, oil mist has blown back over the frame & oil tank (a little bit) but other than that, the bike runs very well, it's not a hassle. I know Evo's do this and I've had a few that 'spurt' from the air filter... Just getting fed up wiping it (LOL). If there's a mechanical benefit..... so.....

Why should I fit one?
What are the benefits/drawbacks?
Does anyone have tips on fitting?
The best filter to buy? Reed valve (at a bit silly prices) or the basic £15.00 ($20ish) jobs?
Location of filter and bracket? (was thinking height here being a gravity fed oil system?). Does it matter??

Any info/opinion is MUCH appreciated. Thanks folks.

Last edited by Olias; 01-03-2010 at 07:49 AM.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:30 AM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I run a Unifilter (3/8 male connector ) off the breather at the back of the right engine case to the frame just below the oil pump Let it drip As far as the reed valves I do run one on my 96CI S&S motor I don't think it makes any more power etc etc I do not like the breather hoses going into the back of the air cleaner I know your 1996 breaths through the heads but you can get connectors to route this away even though my 1993 FLHS still breaths into the air filter Proper oil level in the oil tank can prevent (somewhat ) oil blow by

Old 01-03-2010, 03:31 PM
big cahuna
Grand HDF Member
Received 227 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm surprised someone hasn't invented a small catch pan that mounts to the back of the air cleaner to catch the oil. You might have to dump it out every 1k miles or so, but it beats cleaning the bike and your leg.,,

Old 01-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,482 Likes on 4,605 Posts

No filter, just the hose routed down the frame rail on the right side, never see any oil under it when it is parked in the garage, and no oil is on the bike. Been working fine like that for 21 years now and 125k miles. Engine is a case breather.
Engine has no mods other than ev27 cam and Mikuni carb.

Old 01-03-2010, 07:11 PM
gsxrboy96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i dont know why this is such a big fight with evo owners, run a arlen ness big sucker plate and let the motor take in crankcase pressure and oil droplets, it burns if off anyway, rather than putting it on the ground or the side of your bike.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:01 AM
Olias
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Many thanks for the replies people. All much appreciated. I had a look on the net at that Big Sucker kit but it looks like the filter element is too open to the kind of weather we get in the UK. Lots of feckin' rain!

I'm pretty sharp at keeping the oil level as spot on as I can and I think the connector to route a pipe from the filter could be the way to go.

Thanks again!!

Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 AM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Olias
Many thanks for the replies people. All much appreciated. I had a look on the net at that Big Sucker kit but it looks like the filter element is too open to the kind of weather we get in the UK. Lots of feckin' rain!
you can put a different AC cover on it...pretty sure, or bag the element like some do with heavy breathers and the like.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:32 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Plus 1 on that big sucker hi flow air filter If you're not going to change the top breathing system go get mr. Ness's big sucker CCI's P/N is 04935 and get an HD air cleaner cover P/N29138-91 Keep riding in the rain and get a horsepower gain !!!! Oh how clever

Old 01-04-2010, 12:37 PM
JustDave71
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by sqdealgeorge
Plus 1 on that big sucker hi flow air filter If you're not going to change the top breathing system go get mr. Ness's big sucker CCI's P/N is 04935 and get an HD air cleaner cover P/N29138-91 Keep riding in the rain and get a horsepower gain !!!! Oh how clever
yer a poet and didn't know it.

hey...about crank breathers...how come they don't just route back to the oil tank?

Old 01-04-2010, 06:18 PM
sqdealgeorge
Road Warrior

Justdave71 Well how could the HD oil mfg's sell more oil ??

Quick Reply: Evolution engine crankcase breather filter. Fit one or not?