Engine Mechanical Topics Discussion for motor builds, cams, head work, stripped bolts and other engine related issues. The good and the bad. If it goes round and around or up and down, post it here.

Tappet upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 08:09 PM
willeb3
3rd Gear
Location: On the edge of the country--there are no roads that lead west
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tappet upgrade

I am in the middle of upgrading the cam chain tensioner and oil pump in my 04 Road King to new SE components. Since I have had lifter noise since the bike was new, I figured I'd replace the lifters while I was at it. Most guys say that it doesn't matter which direction the oil hole faces, so I'm good with that, but I have read a number of posts that say how important it is to make sure the old lifters go in exactly the same way they came out so it matches up with the wear on the cam lobe.
What does this mean, if anything, when replacing old tappets with new ones? Should I be concerned about cam wear?
Thanks.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:53 PM
nutoy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

willeb the cam lobes should not have any wear on them since you have a roller that is riding on the lobe.you may see some track marks on the lobe but that is it.As far as when you are reusing old lifters and cams it is good idea to have them in the same position when reinstalling them. If you have used cams that are in good shape don't worry about it when using new lifters.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:57 PM
senna
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by willeb3
I am in the middle of upgrading the cam chain tensioner and oil pump in my 04 Road King to new SE components. Since I have had lifter noise since the bike was new, I figured I'd replace the lifters while I was at it. Most guys say that it doesn't matter which direction the oil hole faces, so I'm good with that, but I have read a number of posts that say how important it is to make sure the old lifters go in exactly the same way they came out so it matches up with the wear on the cam lobe.
What does this mean, if anything, when replacing old tappets with new ones? Should I be concerned about cam wear?
Thanks.
I think this line of thinking comes from a flat tapped type of cam, where the lifter is broke in ( matched )with the lobe of the lifter.

On a roller cam it makes no difference. There is no brake in period for a roller.

Personally, I would line the oil hole in the litter with the oil feed galley in the block. Would you notice a difference if you put them the Opposite? Probably not.

Old 12-20-2014, 10:17 PM
nutoy
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Senna that is exactly right with flat tappet cams.