Exploding Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 AM
greezymonkee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exploding Batteries

Hi All,

What would cause a battery to explode? I just blew up a Sears AGM (Glass Mat) battery. It went "pop" and blew battery acid out of the middle two cells when I was trying to crank up my bike. I have recently replaced the entire starter system and have had some issues with it not stopping the starter when I release the start button. I had not run the starter for more than 30 seconds and had cranked the bike several times while adjusting the carb. I spoke with the folks who made the new starter (All *****) and they said they had never heard of a battery "blowing up" like this. More typical, they said, is that a terminal would melt off before it ever had the chance to go pop. According to them, it would have to build up gases and have a spark for this to occur. Strange in a sealed glass mat battery.

Anyone had a similar experience?

Needless to say, due to the battery placement (directly under the jewels!) I would really like to know what caused this before I straddle a potential IED.

Many thanks,
GM

Old 09-13-2007, 10:08 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Exploding Batteries

I'm with them. The battery acid won't explode but gases from it will. In other words it's like gasoline in a way. The liquid won't explode. Only when it vaporizes and mixes with atmospheric oxygen will it explode.

It takes two things to create an explosion. A leak to allow gases to escape and a spark.

You need to find that spark.

That battery might have been bad - could have had a crack or a leak around a terminal or something.

Forget your butt, please wear eye protection while you diagnose this.

Don't forget to wash that puppy down good with a mild baking soda (not baking powder) solution to neutralize that acid that went everywhere.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:14 AM
greezymonkee
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip on the baking soda, I knew about that, but forgot to do it. Will get right on that.

Safety glasses a good point as well.

The battery did not make a huge explosion. Actually, it was a small "pop" with minimal scatter of acid and then it was dead. I'm hoping it was just a bad battery, but that would be troubling as well. I've looked a little to see if there were any recalls on these yet, but have found nothing.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:19 AM
JBaker421
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Is it possible that since it wouldn't stop cranking that you had the terminal on loosely so you could disconnect and stop the starter? A loose connection could create the spark. Still doesn't explain how the spark and the oxygen got into battery fumes. Bad battery somehow.

Be careful when you tighten down terminals etc. You can twist one and crack something. That'll do it.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:19 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,736 Likes on 1,358 Posts

Check your voltage. It shouldn't be over about 15 at about the most at around 3-4K RPM. A bad regulator can put out too much voltage which can cook a battery and result in a poof.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:32 PM
crampfan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dr.Hess

Check your voltage. It shouldn't be over about 15 at about the most at around 3-4K RPM. A bad regulator can put out too much voltage which can cook a battery and result in a poof.
I have had this happen years ago. A bad voltage regulator had cooked the battery dry, when it cooled down it pulled in air through the vent and when thecar (it was a car)was cranked, the plates shorted and boom. blew the top right off the battery. we found this after a new battery was installed and charging system was checked at over 17 volts.